Happy Monday! I have a special recipe today: 15 minute oven baked almond feta (without food processor), the most simple almond feta recipe I’ve ever made. And I’ve made lots, because I absolutely LOVE almond feta. And nut cheese in general. They’re all so creamy, filling and versatile. Just like this almond feta, which can be used on top of anything 🙂 Or eaten just as it is!Jump to Recipe
I think I’ve tested almost every vegan cheese available in Finland and I haven’t found my favorite yet. Most of the cheeses taste pretty awful. Whereas most homemade cheese tastes delicious! I just don’t always have the patience or the time to make cheese from scratch, starting by first soaking nuts overnight.
What if cheese cravings hit and you want (good) cheese NOW? Then I suggest you do as I did: mix almond flour and a few other ingredients in a bowl, press the cheese batter into any shape you want and bake in the oven for about 8 min (or even less, depending on what texture you want).
Homemade vegan cheese
I’ve only made two types of cheese: cream cheese and feta cheese, because they are easy to make and the ingredients are fairly simple.
Vegan cream cheese or ricotta style cheese
I think vegan cream cheese or ricotta style cheese resembles dairy cream cheese a lot. It is quite similar in both texture (creamy) and flavor. I’ve been the most successful with either cashews or a mix of cashews-macadamias-almonds. I also love the flavors when using nut mixes.
Vegan feta cheese
I’ve made vegan feta cheese from tofu and from different nuts. My latest tests have been with both almonds and cashews, and it’s yummy but takes a long time to make.
That’s why I created this 15 minute oven-baked almond feta (without food processor)!
Texture wise this quick version of feta cheese is nothing like the dairy version: it is crumbly! The flavor is somewhat similar: tangy, salty..Not as creamy, but with a light fatty (good fats!) flavor. This feta is perfect crumbled or cubed on top of pasta/quinoa/pizza/roasted veggies/soup/salad…any food! And it’s perfect on top of toast, too.
If you want to try my other vegan feta versions, I’ve got two on the blog:
15 Minute vegan almond feta (without food processor)
- 1 cup almond flour Almond flour is a fine flour made from blanched almonds
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1,5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 cup water
- + 2 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 392 F / 200 C.
- Mix all almond feta ingredients in a bowl except 2 tsp olive oil.
- Press almond feta on a baking pan covered with parchment paper. The feta should be about 1/2 inch or a bit thicker.
- Brush 2 tsp olive oil on top of feta.
- Bake feta in the oven for 5-8 minutes. Check after 5 minutes (taste test), and bake until you have a consistency you like. Just remember not to bake too much, or else the feta will turn into a tart crust 🙂
ps You can follow Myberryforest also on Facebook 🙂