Monday sweet treats inspiration from the forest: banana-sweetened salted caramel tart! I’m on a roll with my banana-sweetened treats and I won’t stop 🙂 Lots of refined sugar free goodies coming up including cookies and puddings. But first let me share yummy details about this no-bake, vegan, gluten-free tart.
This recipe is inspired by the banana-sweetened fruit and cream tart which I shared last week. As I mentioned in the post, the tart is not very sweet – it’s the fruits you choose on top making the tart sweeter.
Banana-sweetened salted caramel
It’s currant season in Finland now and as they can be a bit sour I wanted to add a sweet layer to complement the flavor of these beautiful berries. I created one of the most delicious sauces I’ve had in a while: banana-sweetened salted caramel sauce. This is all you need:
- cashew butter
- plant-based milk
It’s good with smoothies, yogurt, oatmeal, cookies, tarts, cakes, toast, ice cream..with anything really. I’ve made salted caramel sauce with dates and different nut and seed butters, but this banana one is something special. I hope you give it a go!
What I love about no-bake tarts and especially this banana-sweetened salted caramel tart is that I can improvise along the way and use any nuts/seeds/buckwheat groats in the crust. I can use coconut flour or even almond flour instead of oats. It’s possible to go totally refined sugar free all the way and use whipped coconut cream or unsweetened yogurt on top and of course choose any fruits and berries as toppings.
But I do recommend making the salted caramel sauce with these exact ingredients. There’s just something special about banana & cashew butter together ♥
Banana-sweetened salted caramel tart
- 1/2 cup nuts such as cashews and pecans
- heaped 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- half a small/medium banana (50 grams) Choose a ripe, sweet one (with brown spots)
- 1,5 tbsp coconut oil
- heaped 1/8 tsp (or more, to taste) salt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder
Banana-sweetened salted caramel sauce
- 1/3 cup cashew butter
- half a small/medium banana (50 grams)
- 4 tbsp plant-based milk (or less/more depending on how liquid you want the sauce)
- few pinches of salt (to taste)
- plant-based whipped cream
- fruits and berries of the season
- Blend all crust ingredients until you have a smooth and easy to shape crust. Add more salt if needed (to get the right salt-sweet balance for your liking)
- Press crust on the bottom and a little on the edges of a pan (lined with parchment paper so that it's easier to remove).
- Store in the freezer for about 10 min.
- Blend salted caramel ingredients and add salt little by little until you get the right balance.
- Spread plant-based whipped cream on top of crust. Spread caramel sauce on top. Decorate with fruits. ENJOY!