Banana-sweetened strawberry cake is a delicious and summery vegan and gluten-free cake made with wholesome ingredients. Depending on the sweetness of the banana and strawberries used, it can either be very sweet or moderately sweet. This is the kind of cake you can eat for breakfast, snack and dessert.
This cake is also very simple to make: just mash a banana, mix with almond flour and a few other essential ingredients and that’s it. Bake for 15 minutes, assemble and decorate cake and it’s ready!
If you’re wondering why would anyone want to make a banana-sweetened cake when there are lots of super delicious regular cake recipes available? Well..there are several good reasons:
- You might really love cake, but don’t want to eat sugary cakes often. If you’re not intolerant to any of the cake ingredients, you could have a piece of this cake every day!
- Your children want to have something sweet, but you don’t want them to eat sugary sweets.
- You want to eat cake for breakfast. Although anyone can eat regular sugar sweetened cake for breakfast (I have, many times..), I would not recommend making it a habit. I’ve learned it the hard way that too much sugar and not enough protein and good fats in the morning can be too tough on my body. We all are different, though, so we have to figure out what works for us (but I’m guessing eating lots of processed sugar in the morning is not a good thing for anyone)
- You are trying to cut back on sugar and you’re still craving sweet food. I have two fruits for the rescue: bananas and dates. YES they are sugary fruits (especially dates), but I think it is great to have two sweet fruits to help you out when the cravings hit so you don’t have to resort to other sugary sweets. Both these fruits work great in baked goods, no bake treats, smoothies, and actually in any food you want to sweeten. Here’s a recipe for date-sweetened kombucha muffins, if you want to try something date and banana sweetened.
And try this cake if you’re craving something summery, wholesome and sweet 🙂
Banana-sweetened strawberry cake
- 1 banana (about 100 g / 3,5 oz)
- 2/3 cup almond flour (60 g)
- 1 tbsp coconut butter (15 g)
- 1 tbsp almond butter (15 g)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (10 g)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 cups coconut yogurt or coconut cream
- Optional: raspberry or other berry powder for flavor and color
- 1 cup fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 392 F / 200 C.
- Smash banana and mix with all cake ingredients.
- Form two flat round "pancakes" (diameter about 4,7 inches / 12 cm) on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for about 12-15 minutes.
- Let cake cool for a few minutes (best to let it cool outside if possible)
- Slice half of the strawberries. Spread coconut yogurt on top of cake and add sliced berries.
- Add the second layer, spread coconut yogurt and decorate with the rest of the strawberries. Enjoy!