This is a happy birthday post to my dear sister ♥ What a wonderful day to celebrate birthday: International waffle day! I made her a delicious festive waffle cake with blueberry cardamom waffles, and lots of cream and berries.
My sister has lived in Germany for over 20 years and I really miss her. We are similar in some ways, but she has always been more outgoing. She has an amazing presence & charisma, and her smile is super gorgeous and contagious. She really lights up the room!
Her sense of humor is pretty wicked, which I didn’t appreciate so much when we were younger..I was always the serious one. But now I appreciate it and we have the best time together laughing until our stomach hurts.
That’s what we’re going to do in two weeks when I’m traveling to Munich. I can’t wait to spend time with my sister and her family ♥
About these waffles!
The original waffle recipe is from Visit Sweden, which is pretty spot on for this post as my sister looks Swedish (blonde & beautiful). I tweaked the recipe a bit with two amazing flavors to make blueberry cardamom waffles.
The recipe contains two special ingredients besides blueberries and cardamom: vegan whipped cream and sparkling water. The whipped cream is folded into the batter to make it thick and fluffy. Then the other special ingredient – sparkling water – makes the waffles even fluffier with its bubbles.
This flavor combo is one of my favorites and I have two other delicious berry + cardamom recipes on the blog:
Vegan white chocolate cardamom donuts with raspberry glaze
Blueberry cardamom waffles
- 1,5 cups flour
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp cold water or better yet: sparkling water (unflavored)
- 3 tbsp syrup (or any sweetener)
- 1/3 cups blueberries
- 2,5 cups whipped cream I use oat-based vegan Oat for whipping by Kaslink AITO. You can also use whipped soy cream, whipped coconut cream or any cream you want.
- Whip plant-based cream until fluffy and thick.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add sparkling water (or cold water), syrup and berries.
- Fold in whipped cream until the batter is like thick cream.
- Warm the waffle iron and bake waffles with oil / butter. I baked these in the second highest heat (my waffle iron heat scale goes up to 7).
- Place baked waffles in a grid and let them cool a bit before assembling the cake.
- Decorate each layer of the cake with cream and berries. Enjoy!