Isn’t the color of this porridge incredible? I actually can’t take credit for the astonishingly purple-blue hues of the porridge; it was my mother-in-law who whipped this up for my children. This is my son’s favorite porridge. He probably doesn’t even know what regular porridge without blueberries looks like as he’s been eating this ever since he was a baby. Lucky little guy 🙂 I’m a huge berry porridge fan too: it’s healthy and filling, comforting on a cold day, yet with berries reminds me of warm summer days. And with even more berries, it becomes a luxurious berry breakfast. Blueberry porridge with berry compote and berry cashew cream is the ultimate brekkie for berry lovers like me.
The nearly black syrupy berry compote is my new favorite among healthy toppings for winter porridge. I got inspired by my talented Instagram friend Rita @ritaserano to use star anise as a seasoning for the compote, and now I’m only wondering Dear star anise, where have you been all my life? I fell instantly in love with the sweet licorice like flavor.
The berry cashew cream is a combination of berry compote and plain cashew cream – and I must admit a genius combo not only for the color. The taste is like no other: star anise and berry flavors intertwined so delicately it feels like eating a dreamy dessert. I’ve had dessert for breakfast before and I have the brekkie dessert game going strong with this berry creation, too.
Anyone else love to eat dessert for breakfast 🙂 ? Would love to know!
- Soaking grains to remove anti-nutrients and to make them more digestible
- ½ cup gluten free rolled oats
- ½ cup buckwheat flakes (or ½ cup gluten free rolled oats)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Blueberry porridge
- Soaked oats and buckwheat flakes
- ½ c water
- ½ c almond milk (or other plant based milk)
- ½ cup wild blueberries
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- pinch of Himalayan salt
- Berry compote
- ½ cup frozen wild blueberries
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- 2 star anise
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla powder
- Berry cashew cream yields ~1/3 cup
- a little less than ½ cup cashews (when the cashews are soaked this will be ~1/2 cup cashews)
- 2 heaped tbsp berry compote (make sure to get blueberries, strawberries and the syrup in the spoon)
- Optional (for extra sweetening): ½ tsp maple syrup
- Soaking oats and buckwheat flakes: Soak overnight (8-10 h) in water and apple cider vinegar. Drain and rinse well in the morning.
- Soaking cashews: Soak cashews for 2-4 hours in water and pinch of salt. Drain and rinse well before making the cream.
- Blueberry porridge: Cook soaked oats and buckwheat in water and almond milk in a saucepan medium-high heat for ~5 minutes stirring often until porridge like consistency reached.
- Add pinch of salt and coconut oil and cook in low heat stirring for a minute or two.
- When the porridge is cooked, take saucepan off the heat and stir in blueberries.
- Smash berries to get a lovely color and whisk well.
- Berry compote: Add all ingredients into a saucepan and let simmer low-medium heat for ~10 minutes (until berries are soft). Stir gently every few minutes. Take away star anise before serving. Or leave them for a while if you want to take a pretty pic first 🙂
- Berry cashew cream: Put drained and rinsed cashews in a high-speed blender (or food processor) together with berry compote (NOTE: without star anise) and blend until creamy consistency reached. Taste and add sweetener if needed.
- Serve porridge with berry compote, berry cashew cream and additional fruits.
- Enjoy dessert for breakfast!