Summer time dessert smoothies can look like this: chocolate smoothie bowl with salted caramel popcorn! A little over the top? I don’t think so 🙂 What I love about dessert smoothies is that they are easy to make, you can choose the flavor and toppings to go with your cravings, and they are also nutritious!
Especially if you add vegetables to the smoothie. I already shared one nutritious sweet smoothie (or pudding): my nutella bowl, but this chocolate & salted caramel bowl is a bit lighter and creamier. I’m using frozen cauliflower and frozen banana as the base, soaked nuts for extra creaminess, and then good cacao powder for a lovely rich chocolate flavor.
The salted caramel sauce is a key element here and it’s super simple to make: you just need cashew butter, plant milk of choice, maple syrup and pinch of salt!
Popcorn gives a nice crunchy twist and tastes heavenly with the salted caramel sauce. I also love to use high-quality raw chocolate as a smoothie topping. I was kindly sent dark chocolate and vanoffee chocolate from the Raw Chocolate Company as a gift and was really impressed with the quality and flavor.
So when you want something quick for dessert but don’t want to bake, this is something you should try:
Chocolate smoothie bowl with salted caramel popcorn
- 1/4 cup soaked cashews
- 1/4 cup soaked walnuts
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower
- 1 frozen banana
- 1-2 pitted dates for sweetness (to to taste) Optional, but gives a more dessert like sweetness to this smoothie
- 2 tbsp organic cacao powder I received a high-quality cacao powder from the Raw Chocolate Company
- ~1/2 cup plant milk of choice I love to use gluten-free oat milk
- pinch of salt
Salted caramel sauce
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 2 tbsp or more plant milk of choice I love to use gluten-free oat milk
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- salt to taste (to get that lovely salted caramel twist!)
- Chocolate I received pitch dark chocolate and vanoffee chocolate from the Raw Chocolate Company, both taste amazing!
- Salted caramel sauce
- Strawberries or other fresh berries of the season
- Soak cashews and walnuts in a bowl filled with water for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight. Drain and rinse well.
- Blend all smoothie ingredients until smooth.
- Mix salted caramel sauce ingredients with a spoon. Add more plant milk if necessary to make the sauce smooth.
- Chop chocolate and berries.
- Decorate smoothie bowl with popcorn, chocolate, sauce and berries. ENJOY!