Easy to make dessert smoothies
Summer time dessert smoothies can look like this: chocolate smoothie bowl with salted caramel popcorn! A little over the top? I don’t think so 🙂 What I love about dessert smoothies is that they are easy to make, you can choose the flavor and toppings to go with your cravings, and they are also nutritious!
Vegetables in dessert smoothies?
I already shared one nutritious sweet smoothie (or pudding): my nutella bowl, but this chocolate & salted caramel bowl is a bit creamier. I’m using frozen cauliflower and frozen banana as the base, soaked nuts for extra creaminess, and then good cacao powder for a lovely rich chocolate flavor. For dessert smoothies my favorite vegetables are frozen cauliflower, frozen zucchini or frozen steamed sweet potato.
Vegan salted caramel sauce
The salted caramel sauce is a key element in this chocolate smoothie bowl with salted caramel popcorn. It’s simple to make: you just need cashew butter, plant milk of choice, maple syrup and pinch of salt! When you pour it on top of the smoothie and on top of popcorn, you have an irresistible mix of sweet and salty. I also have a recipe for banana-sweetened salted caramel sauce which I love to use in desserts like this berry tart.
Dessert smoothie toppings
A variety of textures and flavors is the key to dessert smoothie toppings.
- Popcorn gives a nice crunchy twist. It tastes heavenly with the salted caramel sauce.
- High-quality raw chocolate is also an amazing simple smoothie topping. I usually just shave or chop a few pieces of chocolate on top of a smoothie. I was kindly sent chocolate from the Raw Chocolate Company as a gift and was really impressed with the quality.
- If berries are in season where you live, I warmly suggest using fresh berries on top of a smoothie. The lovely fresh berry flavor balances the sweetness perfectly. In winter time I use frozen summer berries, which still have a surprisingly intense flavor.
When you want something quick for dessert, this is something I warmly recommend you to try! ♥
Chocolate smoothie bowl with salted caramel popcorn
- 1/4 cup soaked cashews
- 1/4 cup soaked walnuts
- 1 cup frozen cauliflower
- 1 frozen banana
- 1-2 pitted dates for sweetness (to to taste) Optional, but gives a more dessert like sweetness to this smoothie
- 2 tbsp organic cacao powder I received a high-quality cacao powder from the Raw Chocolate Company
- ~1/2 cup plant milk of choice I love to use gluten-free oat milk
- pinch of salt
Salted caramel sauce
- 2 tbsp cashew butter
- 2 tbsp or more plant milk of choice I love to use gluten-free oat milk
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- salt to taste (to get that lovely salted caramel twist!)
- Chocolate I received pitch dark chocolate and vanoffee chocolate from the Raw Chocolate Company, both taste amazing!
- Salted caramel sauce
- Strawberries or other fresh berries of the season
- Soak cashews and walnuts in a bowl filled with water for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight. Drain and rinse well.
- Blend all smoothie ingredients until smooth.
- Mix salted caramel sauce ingredients with a spoon. Add more plant milk if necessary to make the sauce smooth.
- Chop chocolate and berries.
- Decorate smoothie bowl with popcorn, chocolate, sauce and berries. ENJOY!