Collaboration with Kaslink AITO. Christmas bundt cake (v,gf) is one of the best cakes to bake for Christmas. It’s vegan, gluten-free, and yummy for everyone! It can be baked a few days in advance, because it gets better when the flavors get more intense. To make this cake gluten-free, I’m using gluten-free AITO oat drink and gluten-free flours.
Christmas bundt cake essentials
I’ve always been a big fan of bundt cakes, especially the gingerbread spiced ones like this Christmas bundt. We have a traditional “buttermilk cake” in Finland similar to gingerbread cake. My grandma used to bake this buttermilk cake all the time (when we finished one cake she started baking another one 🙂 ). Oh the smell in her kitchen was absolutely heavenly!
The secret to my grandma’s cake was of course buttermilk, a thick sour dairy drink. I’m so glad making vegan buttermilk is not a complicated task. You just need a very good thick plant-based milk and apple cider vinegar. I always use AITO gluten-free oat drink, because it tastes really delicious, mildly sweet and it’s thicker than most plant milks. It’s perfect in cakes, pancakes, crepes, and actually all kinds of baked goods.
Lots of spices
The more the merrier 🙂 I love high-quality Ceylon cinnamon and also ground (green) cardamom, which is a popular spice here in Finland (cardamom buns!). We also have a very yummy gingerbread spice mix which I love to use every day this time of year. It contains cinnamon, cardamom, ground ginger and ground cloves in a perfect ratio.
To make a festive glaze, I used both spirulina and matcha powder, just a tiny bit to make this pastel green color. I’ve also made a pink glaze using berry powder and berries and a yellow one using turmeric. This cake would look pretty with just powdered sugar sprinkled on top, and some berries and green leaves (rosemary or mint) for a holiday look.
This is a mix-in-one-bowl cake recipe, which doesn’t require a lot of active time in the kitchen. I recommend baking this cake two days before Christmas, keeping it well covered in the fridge and taking it out about 20 minutes prior to serving. You can make the glaze right before serving or make it beforehand and let it freeze in the fridge.
Happy holiday baking from the forest!
Christmas bundt cake (v, gf)
- 2 liter bundt cake pan
- 400 ml Kaslink AITO Oat drink (gluten-free)
- 1,5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 200 g / ~200 ml gluten-free oat flour
- 100 g / ~100 ml light rice flour
- 60 g / ~150 ml almond flour
- 1,5 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp gingerbread spice
- 2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 120 g / ~200 ml coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 120 g / ~100 ml maple syrup or any light syrup
- 80 g / ~100 ml melted coconut oil or any neutral liquid oil / melted vegan butter you like
- For the glaze: 200 ml powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp matcha powder, 1/4 tsp spirulina, 1/2 tbsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp AITO oat drink Add more liquid if necessary and add green powders a pinch at a time to not make it too strong
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 356 F.
- Mix oat drink and apple cider vinegar.
- Grease a bundt pan well and coat it with flour / gluten-free bread crumbs.
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Add liquids: oat drink + acv, maple syrup and melted oil.
- Pour into the bundt pan and bake in mid - low rack for about 50-55 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before turning it.
- Store cake in the fridge well covered for at least a day before serving.
- Make the glaze before serving or make it beforehand and let it get solid in the fridge.
- Enjoy this festive spicy cake!