What do vegans spread on their bread? This was one of the first questions buzzing in my head when I changed to a plant based way of eating. I was lucky enough to find creamy coconut butter from a health food store at the start of my plant filled journey, and after I had emptied the jar I knew I wanted a never ending stash of this creamy butter in our pantry. So the only reasonable thing to do was to learn how to make it myself.
Making creamy coconut butter from scratch doesn’t require neither fancy equipment nor a visit to a specialty grocery store. Just take a bag of shredded organic coconut or coconut flakes and start blending!
We enjoy this lovely vegan butter with both sweet and savory bread and we also love it on top of porridge or smoothie bowls. It is also perfectly satisfying just eaten straight out of a jar.
ps Here’s a fun and delicious blueberry version of coconut butter!
- 1 bag (approximately 2 cups) of organic shredded coconut or coconut flakes
- ⅛ tsp Himalayan salt
- ¼ tsp organic vanilla powder
- Note: if you want a more savory version, you can add more salt and some dried herbs.
- Put shredded coconut in a food processor and start blending
- First the consistency will be crumbly and flour like, but it will gradually change to more liquid form.
- Scrape the sides of the food processor when needed.
- Coconut butter is ready when it is like a creamy almost liquid but thick butter with little or no clumps. Depending on the food processor this can take anything between 5-15 minutes. You may need to let your processor rest for a while if it heats up too much.
- Season with a pinch of salt and vanilla.
- Enjoy on top of bread, in porridges, smoothies, baked goods etc.
- Store in a jar in room temperature.
ps You can follow my blog also on Pinterest!