Creamy Nutella milkshake is deliciously sweet and with an optional shot of espresso, it can also become a yummy coffee treat! You can leave out the coffee if you prefer your milkshake caffeine-free and sweeter (the espresso balances the sweetness). Oh and what’s best – this nutella milkshake is totally dairy-free. You can make this frothy treat from homemade vegan “nutella” (or notella as it’s also called) or from store bought vegan “nutella”. See my brand recommendations below (not sponsored).
Nutella Milkshake Recipe
- 3 tbsp vegan nutella (see below for homemade simple recipe)
- a heaped 1/2 cup vegan whipped cream OR vegan vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup plant-based barista style milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean powder
- 1/4 cup espresso (optional)
- a handful of ice cubes
- As a topping: vegan whipped cream. For a sweeter topping: whip 2 tbsp nutella with about 1/2 cup vegan whipped cream.
- Optional decoration: berry on top! I’m using a pineberry from our garden. Pineberry is a white strawberry with a flavor of pineapple and strawberry.
Homemade Vegan Nutella
The original Nutella is mostly sugar and palm oil. I used to love it when I was little, but after tasting homemade “nutella” and a few healthier dairy-free hazelnut cacao spreads, I’ve not missed the original Nutella at all.
This homemade “notella” is thicker than the regular, it is more like chocolatey nut butter. If you want your “notella” creamier, I recommend adding coconut milk or other thick and creamy plant-based milk or cream (start with a few tbsp and add until desired texture reached).
- ~4 cups hazelnuts
- 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips (or more if you want it more chocolatey!)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup (or as needed to have the level of sweetness you prefer. This also depends on the sweetness level of the chocolate used)
- pinch of salt
Preheat the oven to 200 C / 390 F. Roast hazelnuts on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper for about 5-8 minutes or until they slightly brown and the aroma of hazelnuts fills the kitchen.
Pour the hot hazelnuts on a kitchen cloth and with the help of the cloth, start scrubbing away the peels. You can do this best by taking about a handful of hazelnuts between the cloth and rubbing them together inside the cloth. No need to scrub away all the peels, I always have about 1/3 left with peels on.
Then blend the nuts and all other ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor until you have a smooth chocolatey nut butter. This might take anything from 3-15 minutes, depending on how powerful your blender is. I have a 6 year old Vitamix and I need to stop blending every 2-3 minutes or so to let the machine cool down a bit.
Taste the “nutella”, add what you need and when it’s sweet / chocolatey enough, just scoop it all into a clean glass jar. And now you can make the delicious Nutella milkshake recipe with homemade “nutella”!
Vegan Nutella Brands I Recommend (Palm-Oil Free) for Nutella milkshake recipe
There are several wholesome vegan hazelnut cocoa spread brands. I’ve only tried the first two, but Artisana Organics seems lovely too:
- Foodin Herkutella Hazelnut Raw Chocolate Spread, Organic
- Nocciolata Dairy-Free Organic Hazelnut & Cocoa Spread
- Artisana Organics Hazelnut Cacao Spread
More Vegan Milkshake Recipes
What would be perfect with this creamy dairy-free Nutella milkshake?
Well cookies, of course!
My baking book Fantastic Vegan Cookies is now available for preorder!
Fantastic Vegan Cookies is a collection of 60 vegan cookie recipes from gooey chocolate to fruit treats, mouth-watering cookie bars, scrumptious no-bake cookies and delicious healthier snack cookies. Cookies for every occasion and every craving that is!
Click the images below to pre-order your copy of Fantastic Vegan Cookies
Fantastic Vegan Cookies is published by Page Street Publishing. The Publishing date is November 2, 2021.