I saw the first rhubarb recipes popping on my Instagram feed already about two months ago, but here in Finland the rhubarb season is a bit later. This Creamy strawberry-rhubarb overnight oats recipe is inspired by beautiful rhubarb straight from our garden (just a little bit excited – it’s the first time ever I have my OWN rhubarb!) and sweet summer strawberries, a classic combo which I know most of us love.
This recipe is also inspired by the book Puuron uusi aika which I made together with Tuulia from wellberries. As a base for this delicious summer snack or brekkie I’ve used a slightly modified blueberry overnight oats recipe from the book (the recipe is in my previous post in Finnish).
Tuulia and I are both super honored and happy of all the creations you’ve made from our book, it’s wonderful to see so many porridge fans in Finland! Well, I guess we knew that porridge is a big thing here, but since our recipes are not the most ordinary ones, it’s lovely to see many of you getting creative with porridge and puddings.
If you want more Porridge inspiration, both warm & raw, sweet & savory, see here for a special summer offer of our book!
And now to the recipe 🙂 The secret to this creamy snack is full fat coconut cream, which I love to use in overnight oats. It just makes oats more dreamy and dessert-like. The flavor for this creaminess comes from a quick rhubarb-strawberry compote, which is why this is the perfect summer recipe. So here’s to SUMMER, here’s to beautiful and delicious summer food!
- Creamy overnight oats
- ½ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup plant-based yogurt
- ¾ cup full fat coconut cream
- 1,5 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tsp coconut sugar (or to taste)
- pinch of salt
- Strawberry-rhubarb compote
- ~1 cup chopped rhubarb
- ~1 cup strawberries
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (or to taste)
- Coconut cream or other plant-based cream
- Coconut sugar (to sprinkle on top)
- Whisk together overnight oats ingredients and store in a jar or a bowl in the fridge overnight (or at least for 1 hour)
- Add chopped rhubarb & strawberries, coconut sugar and about 2 tbsp water to a pan.
- Cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes (or until the fruits are soft) and add water if the fruits seem too dry.
- Taste and add more sweetener if needed.
- When the overnight oats are ready (creamy texture), swirl some compote in, add more on top + coconut cream for extra creaminess and strawberries.
- Sprinkle coconut sugar on top and enjoy!