This creamy vegan salmon soup is a kid-friendly wholesome meal. Creamy salmon soup is a typical Nordic meal and we used to eat it at least once a month. This recipe is very similar to the original salmon soup recipe, but the salmon is replaced with smoked tofu. It brings an amazing “smoked salmon” flavor.
Smoked tofu – the best vegan protein source?
Smoked firm tofu is my family’s favorite vegan protein. My kids love it, and I think it’s because this protein ticks the boxes both texture and flavor wise. We eat smoked tofu cold in sandwiches, crumbled or cooked crispy in a pan in pasta and soups. It’s amazing also in casseroles. Oh and in tacos and wraps too! Let’s just say it’s delicious in any meal.
I hope you can find smoked firm tofu in a grocery store so you can try this creamy vegan salmon soup or these other popular smoked tofu meals:
Vegan salmon soup – how to get the fish flavor?
Already the smoked tofu brings a bit of smoked salmon vibes. The texture is of course radically different, but crispy cooked tofu is amazing in this soup.
I saw this great tip in Vegan Sandras blog: add Nori sheets in the vegan fish soup while it’s cooking! So that’s what I did and we love the results. Hope you love this too!
Stay safe, take care!
Creamy vegan salmon soup
- about 500 g / 17,6 oz potates
- about 250 g / 8,8 oz rutabaga
- about 250 g / 8,8 oz carrots or butternut squash
- 1 package (about 250 g / 8,8 oz) smoked firm tofu
- about 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1500 ml / 6,3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 nori sheets
- a few whole pimento allspice
- 250 ml / 1 cup dairy-free cooking cream, I use oat-based AITO Oat cuisine
- salt and pepper to taste (depends on the saltiness of the veggie broth)
- fresh dill
- Peel and cut potatoes, rutabaga and carrots or butternut squash into bite size cubes.
- Dry tofu well (press covered in kitchen towels under a heavy pan for a few minutes), cut into cubes and cook in a dry pan to get the water out.
- Put olive oil in the pan and continue cooking until the tofu is crispy. Set aside.
- Put potato, rutabaga, carrot or butternut squash cubes in a big pot with the veggie broth, all spice and nori sheets. You can tear the sheets into smaller pieces first.
- Cook in medium heat until all vegetables are soft (but not too soft)
- Take out the nori sheets. Of course you can leave small bits and pieces there too.
- Add smoked tofu cubes and cooking cream. Give it a good mix.
- Enjoy with fresh dill and rye bread (a Nordic classic) if you can – the best combo!