Family brunch in the forest: dessert time
Crepes with salted caramel cream were an easy choice for family brunch in the forest. When I made savory crepes, I just doubled the batter and made sweet ones for dessert. These crepes are gluten-free, vegan and very kid-friendly.
First savory crepes
I shared the first part of our forest brunch last Sunday: vegan gluten-free crepes with chanterelles. Chanterelles are a special delicacy, and a creamy mushroom sauce is always a great idea for brunch or lunch. Instead of crepes you can also make this delicious chanterelle pesto pasta.
Then sweet crepes
These sweet crepes are totally irresistible because of the salted caramel cream. I’ve made several salted caramel desserts lately and there seems to be no end to my addiction. I love both banana-sweetened and maple syrup sweetened caramel sauces. This particular sauce is sweetened with maple syrup for that extra sweet maple flavor.
This time I also made the salted caramel sauce fluffier than ever by adding oat-based whipped cream to the sauce. You can add any whipped cream you like, coconut whipped cream would work perfectly too!
Combining tart berries with a sweet cream always works in desserts. We chose berries of the season: red, green and black currants from my parents’ garden and local raspberries.
I also added shaved and chopped vegan white and pink chocolate because I knew my kids would request other toppings too besides berries.
Family brunch in August
Our forest brunch is all about using seasonal produce and food to capture the best of the season for our recipes and photos. On our August brunch we used:
- summer onions
- fresh herbs such as oregano and chives
- vegetables of the season: golden beet, kohlrabi and tomatoes
- red, green and black currants
Next family brunch in September
On our next forest brunch it’s already mid September and the weather is getting colder. We’re going to cozy it up with baked seasonal goodies and tea. At least these seasonal fruits will be used: apples, lingonberries and cloudberries. I hope you’ll join us!
Delicious brunch love from the forest!
ps Read more about the team behind Myberryforest from our first forest brunch post last Sunday!
Crepes with salted caramel cream
Gluten-free vegan crepes
- 175 g / about 1 cup gluten-free pancake flour mix I use a Finnish brand, Viljatuote but any gf flour mix should work
- 2 cups plant-based milk such as oat milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- oil for baking
Salted caramel cream
- 1/4 cup cashew butter
- 2-3 tbsp oat milk You can add more depending on how thick or thin you want the sauce
- 1,5 tbsp maple syrup
- a few pinches of salt (to taste)
- about 1 cup whipped plant-based cream
- berries or fruits of the season, vegan white chocolate, more plant-based whipped cream
- Mix crepes ingredients in a bowl.
- Warm a non-stick pan with some oil. Cook crepes in medium heat for about 2 minutes per side or until they have some lovely golden color and are easy to flip. NOTE: it's easier to shape the crepes in a pan if you lift the pan when pouring the batter. I recommend using about 1/3 cups of batter per crepes.
- Blend all salted caramel sauce ingredients except whipped cream.
- Mix about half of the salted caramel sauce with 1 cup of whipped cream. Leave rest of the sauce for serving.
- Enjoy crepes with cream, berries, salted caramel sauce and chopped white chocolate.