Collaboration with Ankarsrum. When I received the Ankarsrum Assistent kitchen machine – a beautiful cream colored dream I knew I wanted to test a good bun dough. These gingerbread cardamom buns are the perfect comforting treat for the holiday season. And they are super easy to make with the Ankarsrum dream machine.
Finnish cardamom buns
You might have a different image in mind when thinking about cardamom buns. You might think of the Swedish version where the bun is tied into a pretty knot or then a cinnamon roll like bun.
Well, this is a totally different type of bun: a Finnish cardamom bun, the most traditional type of bun baked by every grandma in Finland. A Finnish cardamom bun (or Pulla as it’s called here) is more like a bread roll but it’s sweet.
Finnish buns are very easy to make. Make a simple dough, let the dough rise (or double in size) and then roll it into small balls. Let the little buns rise and then bake them into soft delicious fluffiness.
When I was little I ate these soft fluffy buns every week. Nothing can beat the smell of fresh baked cardamom buns!
When you add a gingerbread cookie on top of a bun, you have a gingerbread bun ♥ I can’t take credit for this yummy creative invention. These are the holiday season buns of my childhood.
We used to buy them from a bakery, but I always wanted to bake them myself too. And not just during holiday season, but every season 🙂
Now with the powerful and beautiful Ankarsrum Assistent machine it was time to finally bake these traditional gingerbread buns. And I have a strong feeling I will be baking these buns all through the year!
Ankarsrum Assistent – the dream kitchen assistant
This dream of a kitchen machine comes from a tiny village in Sweden, Ankarsrum, and it has been in production since the 1940s. Ankarsrum is a high-quality, very robust everyday assistant, which I will be using in all kinds of baking and cooking from now on.
Ankarsrum Assistent comes with a few accessories for baking like dough roll, dough hook and whisks. There are also several other accessories you can buy for making pasta, cutting vegetables, grinding grains, pressing juice, blending… Ankarsrum can really do anything. I mean ANYTHING, so it’s basically the only kitchen gadget you’ll need 🙂
Here’s more information on how Ankarsrum works.
Now let’s bake Gingerbread cardamom buns ♥
Gingerbread cardamom buns
- Ankarsrum Assistent and dough roller
- 125 grams dairy-free butter
- 500 ml Oat drink Thick oat drink for coffee is the best
- 125 grams castor sugar
- 11 grams dry yeast
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 2 tsp salt
- ~750 grams fine wheat flour
- 100 grams dairy-free butter
- 70 grams brown sugar
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 1,5 tsp gingerbread spices
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 195 grams flour
- 100 ml oat-based cooking cream (not flavored)
- Powdered sugar for the buns.
- Melt vegan butter and let cool.
- Warm oat milk to 42 C and pour it into the Ankarsrum bowl.
- Add sugar and mix it with low-medium on the Ankarsrum Assistent.
- Sprinkle dry yeast and let set for a few minutes.
- Add cardamom, salt and flour little by little while mixing on low-medium.
- Pour the melted butter in the very end and knead the dough in the Ankarsrum low-medium for 10 minutes.
- Cover the bowl and let dough rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Place dough on a well floured surface, add more flour if dough feels too sticky. Roll the dough into small balls, about 18.
- Place balls on a baking sheet, cover and let rise for about 15 minutes.
- Bake in the oven for about 3-5 minutes. Baking time depends on the size of buns (smaller buns about 3 min, larger buns about 5 min)
- Place a gingerbread cookie heart on top gently pressing it, and bake for another 3-6 minutes or until bun and cookie has a lovely golden brown color.
- Make gingerbread cookie batter when the bun dough is rising.
- Whisk dairy-free butter and sugar in the Ankarsrum machine.
- Add all dry ingredients while mixing, and add the cream last. Mix until fully combined.
- Place batter well covered in the fridge.
- When the buns are rising, take the cookie batter out of the fridge and roll it into a thin (about 0,5 cm) sheet. Take out small hearts or any shape you like.
- Press gently on top of prebaked bun and bake in the oven for about 3-6 minutes until ready.
- Let buns cool for a while and sprinkle powdered sugar on top. Enjoy these wonderful holiday treats!
Hi 🙂 this recipe sounds lovely and I can’t wait to try it! However I do not have a Ankarsrum Assistent, would it be possible to follow the recipe with a handmixer?
Hi Jenna, Thank you for the question. Yes it is possible to make with hand mixer although the amount of flour might be different. I think it is always best to add flour little by little and adjust as you go. Please let me know how it works out! And would love to see your creation (you can tag it @myberryforest) if you post it on Instagram. Have a lovely day 🙂