Gluten-free vegan banana-sweetened berry galette is a rustic naturally sweet treat perfect for breakfast, snack or dessert. It’s ready in 30 minutes and can be enjoyed with a drizzle of syrup, withwhipped cream, ice cream or just plain letting the beautiful berry flavors shine!Jump to Recipe
Naturally sweetened treats
I classify naturally sweetened treats as treats sweetened with just whole fruit. This is in line with my current way of eating: I emphasize vegan whole foods and minimize consumption of processed foods. Eating mostly whole foods makes me feel good, that’s why I love this way of eating. And how I feel daily encourages me to continue.
I’m loving my new relationship with food: it’s a healthy one.
I’m not 100% whole foods eater though. I have a very bad experience with extreme diets, which you can read more about here if you wish. I’ve found a great balance now and this balanced diet includes mostly naturally sweetened treats and occasional other treats.
My favorite natural sweeteners are bananas and dates and they both work well in both baked and no bake treats.
Don’t be afraid to try bananas as the only sweetener in your baked goods! The sweetest bananas are the spotty ripe ones (before they turn brown and totally mushy). These are the same bananas you would peel and freeze to use for a nice cream or smoothie.
I baked a banana-sweetened cake earlier this summer, and have been baking banana-sweetened cookies too (recipe coming soon).
The sweetness of this rustic galette is also due to amazingly flavorful summer fruits: strawberries and cherries. They become jammy, soft and sweeter when roasted in the oven.
Dates as sweetener
I also love to sweeten treats with dates. Dates make the best caramel (check out this tahini caramel ♥) and bananas + dates make a great sweetener together too, like in these kombucha muffins. You can adjust the sweetness level by changing the banana / date ratio.
Adjusting the level of sweetness
If you’re very used to sugary treats, then this galette is perhaps not sweet enough. My suggestion is to add a drizzle of syrup on top of the galette, just like you would on top of pancakes.
So basically this really is a breakfast galette 🙂 Can’t think of a better breakfast!
Lots of love from the forest ♥
ps My next recipe is basically the opposite of this: a delicious sugary sweet treat with lots of fluffy cream..stay tuned 😉
Gluten-free vegan banana-sweetened berry galette
- 1/3 (30 g / ~1 oz) ripe sweet banana
- 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamom
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp melted coconut butter
- 3,5 oz / 100 g fresh strawberries
- 2 oz / 60 g fresh cherries
- For serving, optional: maple syrup (or other sweetener), plant-based whipped cream or ice cream.
- Preheat oven to 356 F / 180 C.
- Mash banana with a fork.
- Mix all dry ingredients: flour, salt, spices.
- Add coconut butter, coconut oil and mashed banana. Mix until well combined.
- Place in the fridge while you slice the berries.
- Roll crust on parchment paper into a thin round shape with a rolling pin.
- Add berries in the middle and fold the edges with the help of the parchment paper.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until crust is golden and berries look a bit jammy.
- Enjoy galette with syrup, ice cream or whipped cream or just plain!