I’m kicking of May with a super delicious Nordic classic: gluten-free vegan blueberry cardamom pie. The classic version is not gluten-free nor vegan, but it is very simple to make so. The ingredient list is minimal, and you can make this in under 30 minutes.Jump to Recipe
I recommend using wild blueberries for amazing flavor but if not available, you can use plain blueberries, black currants, raspberries or a mix of berries, too!
This is my nephew’s favorite pie and I made it for his 20th birthday. He lives in Munich and I was a surprise guest at his party 🙂 I baked this pie already in Finland to make sure he gets the best Finnish wild blueberries.
What is pretty special about this pie is the spice we use: cardamom! We Finns LOVE cardamom, which is kind of an oddity as it is definitely not a Nordic spice.
The history of cardamom in the Nordics is pretty special: we can thank the Vikings for cardamom! They brought this beautiful Indian spice to the north via Istanbul or Constantinople as it was called in the days of the Holy Roman Empire.
How to use cardamom
I use ground organic cardamom, which can be bought in regular Finnish grocery stores. But the best flavored cardamom you can obtain from cardamom pods, which you can crush and grind to use the cardamom seeds. I use green cardamom, which is sweeter and better used in baking than black cardamom.
Here are some ideas how to use cardamom (some of which I use daily):
- pinch of ground cardamom in coffee or matcha latte
- cardamom is an essential spice in chai
- Indian style savory cooking, it’s a lovely spice to add in a sauce or just to flavor rice
- cardamom buns
- chocolate and cardamom is a delicious match
- waffles or pancakes
- cakes and cookies
- makes a yummy apple pie!
- and of course: wild blueberries and cardamom
I hope you love this heavenly flavor combination too.
Gluten-free vegan blueberry cardamom pie
- 7 oz (200 g) frozen or fresh wild blueberries (bilberries) or any berries
- 2 tsp potato flour (or regular flour)
- 3,5 oz / ~3/4 cups + 1,5 tbsp (100 g/~2 dl) gluten-free oat flour
- 1,7 oz / ~3 tbsp (20 g/~0,5 dl) almond flour Note: This is not the same as almond meal. Almond flour is made from blanched almonds and it is very fine compared to almond meal.
- 1,5 tsp ground cardamom
- 0,5 tsp baking powder
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 1,8 oz / ~1/4 cups (50 g) coconut oil
- 1,8 oz / ~1/4 cups (50 g) maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 392 F / 200 C.
- Mix blueberries with potato flour so that all berries are coated in flour.
- Mix all dry ingredients: flours, cardamom, salt.
- Add coconut oil (room temp) and maple syrup and combine all until the dough is easy to shape.
- Press the dough into the bottom and edges of a tart / pie pan. Pour blueberries on top and bake in the oven for about 15-18 minutes or until the edges are golden brown.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream, vanilla sauce or whipped cream. Decorate with red berries and mint leaves.