Healthy pumpkin smoothie parfait is a delicious, easy-to-make breakfast for the whole family. It’s not just pumpkin puree inside this vibrant yellow jar; there’s also mango, ginger and lime to make it fresh, zingy and more nutritious.
The idea for this smoothie parfait recipe came from my talented and lovely friend Marita’s @myblissktchn cookbook Ruokaan rakastunut (Fallen in Love With Food) Her cookbook is full of beautiful photography and delicious, fun vegan and gluten-free recipes.
This recipe is originally called Mango sorbet and Marita adds applesauce to the sorbet. I love the idea of mango and apple together, but this time I chose pumpkin puree. I want to make the most of pumpkin season, so I’m using it in almost every recipe 🙂
Sorbet, smoothie or parfait?
What I love about sorbet recipes like Marita’s is that you can eat it in three ways:
- When I first made this bright orange sorbet, it was super creamy, thick and fruity. As a huge sorbet lover, I ate some of it right away for breakfast and saved the rest for our family brunch. See below my Halloween themed sorbet 🙂
- At brunch time the sorbet had melted into a beautiful lush smoothie, which tasted amazing with our Sunday brunch pumpkin salad (recipe coming next week!).
- You can also make a smoothie parfait like this one by swirling in some plant-based yogurt of choice. This was my kids’ favorite way of eating the smoothie and I know why: we added some of Marita’s Crunchy Oat Cookie Granola in the parfait and as a topping. This granola is super simple to make, just a few ingredients and it is HEAVENLY!!
Healthy pumpkin smoothie
What makes this smoothie particularly healthy is the combination of vitamin rich fruits (especially vitamins A and C) and pumpkin. Even by the color you can tell this is packed with the good stuff!
When you add both ginger and lime or lemon to the smoothie it becomes even more nutritious. The ZING these ingredients provide is also a lovely flavor boost.
Raw ginger is an ingredient I couldn’t live without. I add fresh ginger to my immune boosting drink with lemon juice and turmeric powder. I also use it grated in meals and it gives a delicious flavor to cakes such as this one perfect for fall:
How to make a healthy pumpkin smoothie parfait
Prep time: 10 minutes
Equipment: a high-speed blender
- 300 g / 10 oz frozen mango
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 inch (or more) piece of fresh ginger
- juice of 1 small lime or 1/2 big lime
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup water or just enough to get the blender rolling
Smoothie parfait ingredients
- The above smoothie and about 1 cup of plant-based yogurt of choice
- Toppings: granola such as this super delicious Crunchy oat cookie granola and plant-based whipped cream.
Directions: blend all smoothie ingredients until smooth and creamy. Pour into jars and add yogurt, swirl a little. Add toppings and enjoy this delicious healthy parfait!
Halloween pumpkin mango sorbet
You can also make a special Halloween treat by decorating a glass jar with a pumpkin face 🙂