This is the healthiest vegetable burger I’ve ever eaten in my life. It might look like a monster, but it surely is a happy one. And I was happy too when I began assembling this burger. I challenged myself to come up with the healthiest burger I could think of but with ingredients found only in our fridge or our garden. Here’s how my healthy green vegetable burger came to life.
First I invented a super healthy spread: tahini mixed with wheatgrass powder. Tahini in my opinion is a perfect match with almost anything – its strong flavor overrides many others, wheatgrass included. And since I am not too fond of the taste of wheatgrass, I was thrilled to find this combination.
Peas gave my burger a pleasant crunch as did thinly sliced raw broccoli. Avocado slices with their healthy fats provided a warmly welcomed creaminess. Neatly tucked cucumbers brought just the right amount of juiciness, and greens from the garden – including basil and parsley, tasted as fresh as a summer day. Which it really isn’t as it’s Autumn already, but with this Happy Green Monster Burger I’m bringing summer back with a blast.
The recipe is super simple, and my message is this: healthy eating can be fun. It can be easy. It can be green, yellow, orange, red – whatever rainbow vegetables you feel like tucking inside your burger bun.
- [b]Tahini spread[/b]
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp wheatgrass powder
- 2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- pinch of salt (if tahini unsalted)
- [b]Healthy green vegetable burger[/b]
- 2 gluten free burger breads
- A mixture of leafy greens: baby kale, baby spinach, sorrel
- Fresh herbs: basil, parsley
- Whisk the ingredients of the spread first and let sit for a few minutes.
- Wash, pat dry and slice the vegetables.
- Spread tahini-wheat grass on the burger buns.
- Assemble the bread: peas as teeth and other vegetables as you wish.
- Enjoy the green goodness!