Hiya! It’s still winter here, and I’m eating warm oatmeal almost every morning. Sometimes as an evening snack too, as it’s so comforting and cozy. And besides, the tryptophan in oats helps me sleep better. This hot chocolate oatmeal contains one very special ingredient. Perhaps a surprising ingredient, although it’s definitely not a new one in oatmeal. This ingredient – also one of my favorite veggies – is a frequent addition also in smoothies, giving a lovely creaminess. Perhaps you guessed it already? Read this post in Finnish here.
It’s cauliflower, yay! When crumbled and cooked with rolled oats, cauliflower becomes creamy and sort of disappears. That’s a good thing, of course, because cauliflower flavor + chocolate flavor is not a good match.
So why do I add cauliflower in my oatmeal? Well, I just happen to love the consistency. It’s creamier than regular oatmeal, and I don’t mind eating extra veggies all through the day. I’m well aware that the cooking process destroys some of the vitamins, but because cauliflower rice in oatmeal is not the only veggie I eat during the day, it doesn’t matter 🙂 It’s just nice to know I can increase my daily veggie dose in a delicious way like this, too.
I would actually call this a dessert oatmeal as it’s so chocolatey and really tastes like hot chocolate. If it’s winter weather there too, and you’re craving something cozy, why not give these dreamy oats a go?
Happy cooking & lots of love from the forest!
- ~80 g of raw cauliflower (~2-2,5 dl cauliflower "rice")
- 2 dl rolled oats
- 2,5 dl water
- 2 dl coconut milk or other plant-based milk
- pinch of salt
- Chocolate paste
- 4 tbsp almond butter
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2,5 tbsp dark cacao powder
- For serving
- Coconut milk or other plant-based milk
- Berries and other fruits of choice
- To make it even more luxurious: pieces of dark chocolate
- In a food processor or blender, blend raw cauliflower into small crumble ("rice").
- Combine cauliflower rice, rolled oats and liquids and mix well in a pan.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer covered for 5-10 minutes mixing every now and then until creamy consistency achieved.
- Mix chocolate paste ingredients well together.¨
- Take a generous spoonful of the chocolate paste and swirl it into your oatmeal. Add coconut milk and swirl some more until the chocolate paste dissolves a bit.
- Decorate with fruit of choice and more chocolate if you want.
- Enjoy this sweet morning moment 🙂