I posted this green yummy treat a while ago on Instagram, but it definitely deserves a spot on the blog, too. This matcha frozen yogurt ice cream with whipped coconut cream is just perfectly refreshing yet still very creamy, just like the best ice creams are. With an antioxidant boost from matcha tea powder, I’ll happily call this green goodness superfood ice cream and eat a cone or two a day.
Healthy ice cream for all
This post is dedicated to all ice cream lovers, especially to healthy ice cream lovers. Healthy really doesn’t mean lack of flavor, lack of ice cream-ness. It just means substituting all regular ice cream ingredients with healthier whole food plant-based ones.
N’ice cream book
I’m super happy my fellow Finnish healthy foodies Virpi and Tuulia have been spreading the message of good-for-you vegan ice cream with their amazing N’Ice Cream Book. I really think healthier homemade vegan ice cream deserves its spot in the highlight this summer and all summers to come.
Before adopting a plant-based vegan diet, I never knew making ice cream would be so simple. I never knew healthy ice cream without dairy and refined sugar could possibly taste as good or even better than store bought dairy ice cream. Now I know 🙂
Here’s the recipe for matcha frozen yogurt with whipped coconut cream!
ps If you want to experiment with a little different ice cream ingredients, why not try this delicious Strawberry cauliflower ice cream 🙂 ?
Depending on the size of the cones, this recipe makes about 6 cones.
- Matcha frozen yogurt
- 1 cup of coconut cream (the creamy part of a chilled coconut milk can)
- ⅓ cups of unsweetened plant-based yogurt (I used oat yogurt)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp matcha powder (I used high-quality Your Tea matcha)
- ¼ tsp vanilla bean powder
- pinch of salt
- Whipped coconut cream
- ⅓ cup coconut cream
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¼-1/2 tsp beetroot powder (depending on how pink you want the cream)
- ⅛ tsp vanilla powder
- Cones: gluten-free & vegan ice cream cones.
- Toppings: freeze-dried pomegranate (I used Urtekram)
- Preparations: chill 2 cans of coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
- Matcha frozen yogurt ice cream: scoop out the creamy part of a coconut milk can and blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor until smooth. Use more than one can if you don't get enough cream from one can (1 cup is needed).
- Put in a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 3 hours, stirring the ice cream every 30 minutes to get a really creamy fluffy ice cream.
- Whipped coconut cream: scoop out the creamy part of a coconut milk can and whip up all the cream ingredients with a hand mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- Matcha cones: scoop out ice cream with an ice cream scoop and place on a cone. Top with whipped coconut cream and freeze-dried pomegranates. ENJOY this beautiful & healthy treat!