No churn matcha frozen yogurt ice cream with whipped coconut cream is perfectly refreshing yet still very creamy, just like the best frozen yogurts are. With a little antioxidant boost from matcha tea powder, this treat is almost superfood ice cream! It’s also vegan and gluten-free when using gluten-free cones.
How to make vegan matcha frozen yogurt?
Or any flavor frozen yogurt for that matter?
Just mix coconut cream – the creamy thick part from a coconut milk can with vegan yogurt and you have the base to create any flavor you like! I recommend a creamy vegan yogurt such as coconut yogurt or then oat yogurt for a lighter feel, but any yogurt works.
I recommend adding a liquid sweetener such as maple syrup or any light syrup. Then a squeeze of lemon juice to make a really fresh zingy treat or leave it out if you want the frozen yogurt sweeter and not so tangy.
For a berry flavor, just mix in a handful of fresh berries or fruits for a fruity flavor. Berry powders work well, too!
This is a no churn ice cream which means that you can make it without an ice cream machine. What is needed instead is a gentle mix of the ice cream for a few times every 30 minutes or so to get a better texture.
After about 3 hours in the freezer this matcha frozen yogurt ice cream becomes scoopable. It also melts fast as you can see from the photos 🙂
Frozen yogurt treats
To make frozen yogurt extra special, top it with vegan whipped cream!
I love to color my whipped creams naturally with beetroot powder, berry powder, berries or berry jam. For a cute mint green hue I would choose spirulina powder and for a yellow one I’d add turmeric powder.
Add some berries or pomegranate gems as sprinkles on top to make it festive.
Hope you enjoy this summer treat!
Here’s the recipe for matcha frozen yogurt with whipped coconut cream:
- [b]Matcha frozen yogurt[/b]
- 1 cup of coconut cream (the creamy part of a chilled coconut milk can)
- 1/3 cups of unsweetened plant-based yogurt (I used oat yogurt)
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2-3 tsp matcha powder (I used high-quality [url href=”http://yourtea.com/” target=”_blank”]Your Tea[/url] matcha)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder
- pinch of salt
- [b]Whipped coconut cream[/b]
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/4-1/2 tsp beetroot powder (depending on how pink you want the cream)
- 1/8 tsp vanilla powder
- Cones: gluten-free & vegan ice cream cones.
- Toppings: freeze-dried pomegranate (I used Urtekram)
- [b]Preparations: [/b]chill 2 cans of coconut milk in the fridge overnight.
- [b]Matcha frozen yogurt ice cream:[/b] scoop out the creamy part of a coconut milk can and blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor until smooth. Use more than one can if you don’t get enough cream from one can (1 cup is needed).
- Put in a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 3 hours, stirring the ice cream every 30 minutes to get a really creamy fluffy ice cream.
- [b]Whipped coconut cream:[/b] scoop out the creamy part of a coconut milk can and whip up all the cream ingredients with a hand mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- [b]Matcha cones:[/b] scoop out ice cream with an ice cream scoop and place on a cone. Top with whipped coconut cream and freeze-dried pomegranates. ENJOY this beautiful & healthy treat!
ps You can follow Myberryforest blog also on Pinterest!