Wishing you all a happy and bright 2016 with my sunny persimmon pizza pie! A sweet crumbly nut based crust combined with a beautifully green cashew cream and juicy persimmon slices means I’ve taken pie to a new level of healthy. It’s basically just nuts and fruit:)
This pizza pie is a brighter colored copy of my pink fig pizza pie. The crust is exactly the same, only the toppings differ. That’s what I love about cooking: there are endless combinations to be created with very similar ingredients. The green cashew cream is nearly identical to the green frosting on my festive chocolate cake. I’ve also used this as a frosting on some yummy mini treats seen on Instagram (and soon on the blog too). And persimmons – well, they are simply gorgeous just as they are, aren’t they? Persimmons always make me smile. They remind me of the sun and light, and of spring which is here in just a couple of months. I’m smiling as I write this, that’s how happy the thought of spring makes me.
And speaking of happy thoughts, I hope this year brings you true happiness. I hope you have courage and strength to work towards your dreams. Last year I did just that, and this is where I am now: creating, cooking, practicing food photography, writing this post – making my dreams come true.
This delicious persimmon pizza pie is one of the many happy foods coming from the Berry Forest this year:) I hope you’ll stay tuned!
- Pizza pie crust
- Dry ingredients:
- ⅓ cup almonds
- ⅓ cup walnuts
- ⅓ cup white rice flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- ⅛ tsp good quality salt (e.g. Himalayan salt)
- Wet ingredients:
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup plant based milk (e.g.unsweetened almond milk)
- Green cashew cream topping
- 1 cup soaked cashews (soak cashews in water for ~4 hours)
- ⅓ cup water OR plant based milk
- 1,5 tsp agave nectar (or sweetener of choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- ½ tsp cardamom
- ½ tsp spirulina powder
- Toppings: 1 ripe persimmon
- Soak cashews for ~4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200C/390F.
- Pizza pie crust: Blend almonds and walnuts into flour. Mix all dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add melted coconut oil and plant milk to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the batter on to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and mold it into a pizza shape.
- Bake in 200C/390F for 10 minutes. Let cool before adding toppings.
- Cashew cream: drain and rinse soaked cashews.
- Blend cashews in a high speed blender or powerful food processor together with water/plant milk, agave, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom and spirulina until creamy and smooth. Add more water/milk if needed.
- Assembling the pie: when the pie crust has cooled completely spread cashew cream on top.
- Cut persimmons into thin slices and put on top of pizza pie to form a sun.
- Enjoy this sunny pie (and dream of warm spring days)!