Collaboration with Kaslink AITO. Pumpkin stew with macaroni is a hearty creamy meal without a drop of dairy. This stew comes together in about 30 minutes, and it’s the perfect cozy dish for fall with warming spices.
Easy pumpkin stew
I love one pot meals like stews and soups; they save so much time in the kitchen. I also love that I can feed my family twice when making a big pot of stew. I usually pimp it up a bit the next day: add more vegetables and liquid, usually more creaminess. My go-to cream for stews, soups and sauces is AITO Oat cuisine, a thick oat-based dairy-free and gluten-free cooking cream.
How to make a simple vegan stew
Stews are super easy to make and they’re one of the easiest meals to make vegan. You can add your favorite vegetables and your favorite protein source. You can even use all leftover and old veggies in your stew (no food waste!).
This time I chose pumpkin and smoked tofu, which tastes amazing with warming spices. If smoked tofu is not available where you live, you can use any marinated tofu.
- Chop and/or grate vegetables. Dry and crumble tofu.
- Heat oil in a pot, sautee garlic and spices.
- Mix tofu and veggies with garlic and spices.
- Add liquid and let simmer under a lid until veggies are almost ready.
- Add pasta / rice or other grains of choice and cook until ready.
- Pour cream either to the pot or when serving the stew.
- Garnish with fresh herbs. ENJOY this cozy meal!
World Pasta Day
I got the idea for this pumpkin stew with macaroni from my lasagna soup recipe, which is one of my kids’ favorite vegan meals. I used macaroni instead of lasagna, and it’s even better because the sauce is absorbed in the tiny holes of the macaroni.
And speaking of macaroni, today is world pasta day! October 25th is a great day to celebrate this humble and tasty grain… although we celebrate pasta almost every day 🙂
I have a lot of pasta recipes on my blog, because it’s simply our favorite meal. Seeing my kids eat vegan pasta with good appetite encourages me to cook more pasta. I really want my kids to love vegan food and if I can do that through pasta, that’s alright with me ♥
Happy pasta day every day!
Pumpkin stew with macaroni
- 7 oz / 200 g block of firm marinated tofu I recommend smoked tofu
- 14 oz / 400 g pumpkin such as hokkaido
- about an inch of fresh ginger (a thick piece)
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ~10 oz / 300 g dry macaroni (or other pasta of choice)
- 1 cup Kaslink AITO Oat cuisine oat-based cooking cream
- Fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste If the veggie broth is low in salt you might need to add more to the stew. You can also add pepper if you like 🙂
- Cut block of tofu in a few pieces and dry them inside a kitchen cloth. Crumble dried tofu into small pieces.
- Cut pumpkin into bite size pieces. No need to peel if using hokkaido pumpkin.
- Grate ginger and chop garlic.
- Warm oil in a large pot. Sautee ginger and garlic for a minute or two until soft.
- Add tomato paste and spices and warm the paste in the pot for about a minute.
- Add tofu and chopped pumpkin and mix with tomato paste-spice mix.
- Pour liquid into the pot: crushed tomatoes and veggie broth. Mix well and let simmer under the lid for about 10 - 15 minutes. The pumpkin pieces should have softened a bit, but not too much.
- Add macaroni and cook in them in the stew according to package instructions.
- Pour Oat cuisine to the pot when the stew is ready or pour it to the bowl when serving soup.
- Garnish with fresh herbs. Enjoy this hearty fall meal!
ps You can follow Myberryforest also on Facebook 🙂