Bunch of fresh rhubarb in my hand and a strong love for buckwheat – a very solid premise for this delicious breakfast recipe. Raw buckwheat strawberry porridge with rhubarb compote is a lovely balance of creaminess and sourness, it’s ready in about 15 minutes and also kid-friendly.
What makes this breakfast kid-friendly is the creamy porridge. It’s a flavorful combination of buckwheat, cashews and strawberries blended silky and smooth, and it tastes like summer!
Rhubarb is not my kids favorite, but when I sweeten it properly it becomes totally kid-approved 🙂 I recommend using coconut sugar for a beautiful caramel flavor. I also put a little secret ingredient in my rhubarb compote, which makes the compote lush and creamy.
Enjoy this raw porridge for breakfast or snack, or even as a healthy treat. You can also make a berry compote if rhubarb is not available where you live or if you just prefer berries more. Oh and if you don’t like the flavor of buckwheat, you can swap the measures in the recipe to contain more cashews than buckwheat!
Lots of love from the forest!
ps This raw porridge could also be a smoothie, just add a bit more plant-based milk to make it drinkable!
Raw buckwheat strawberry porridge with rhubarb compote
Raw buckwheat strawberry porrigde
- 1/3 cup raw buckwheat groats If you are not a fan of buckwheat, use 1/4 cup buckwheat and 1/3 cup cashews
- heaped 1/4 cup cashews
- 1 cup strawberries Either fresh or frozen
- 1-2 pitted dates
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder
- pinch of salt
- NOTE: Add a little plant-based milk to the blender too, to get the ingredients blended properly! Just don't add too much, unless you want a smoothie 🙂
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- 3-5 strawberries
- 1/4-1/3 cup water
- secret ingredient: 1 tbsp coconut butter
- optional: ~1 tbsp coconut sugar for sweetness
- Soak buckwheat and cashews overnight in a bowl filled with water. Drain and rinse well before blending.
- Blend all porridge ingredients and add more sweetness if you like.
- Cook rhubarb and strawberries with water in medium heat for about 5-10 min or until rhubarb is soft. Stir in coconut butter and sweetener if you like.
- Serve porridge cold with warm or chilled rhubarb compote. Enjoy this wholesome breakfast!