I have a pretty special bunch for you today: refreshing banana-free smoothies, or rainbow smoothies as I like to call them. I use three basic ingredients – frozen cauliflower, frozen fruit and plant-based yogurt to achieve a creamy smooth consistency. Frozen cauliflower has been a trendy ingredient in smoothies for a few years. It’s surprisingly neutral in smoothies, especially when combined with strong flavored fruit. Which one of these refreshments would you choose 🙂 ? Click here to read this post in Finnish.
I found out last year via a Pinnertest food intolerance test that I’m intolerant to bananas, and that’s the reason I avoid them now. Funny thing is that I didn’t even like bananas before I started eating plant-based and discovered their creaminess in smoothies and nice creams. I had always avoided bananas, because I really disliked the consistency (too mushy) and flavor (sweet in a very odd way).
When I began eating plant-based I also started making a lot of frozen banana based smoothies. I added at least one frozen banana in each smoothie I made, and I also ate nice cream as a healthy treat few times a week. So I went from 0 bananas a year to eating at least a banana a day. And little by little I began to feel bad: I had headaches, stomach aches and bloating. But I always thought these were symptoms of wheat intolerance, and never thought the real culprit was banana.
So after Pinnertest and after being two weeks without bananas I was feeling much better. My headaches were gone, and I felt less bloated. I continued my banana-free diet for about half a year, but started incorporating a bit of banana to my diet this year. And it seems I can tolerate about half a banana or a small one in one go, but not more. My symptoms return, and I feel awful (but at least now I know the real reason).
Every now and then I will share a recipe with bananas, but mostly I try to replace it with other ingredients. And it’s not difficult! I make nice cream from frozen pineapple, frozen mango, frozen berries and coconut milk. I even add frozen veggies to nice cream. I also use a lot of veggies in smoothies: cauliflower but also zucchini and even broccoli. And there’s a surprising vegetable inside the berry smoothie, so you should definitely check it out if you’re into super nourishing and delicious smoothies 🙂
My healthy green smoothie guide: just add more frozen pineapple so you won’t need the banana. This guide is helpful if you’re not a green smoothie fan but would like to incorporate more greens into your (or your loved ones’) diet in a fun and delicious way.
Super green smoothie with pineapple slush: just add more mango if you don’t want the banana. This smoothie is an amazing burst of energy and my kids like it too, with the cold pineapple slush layer.
Happy blending ♥
- Berry smoothie - purple
- 2 dl frozen black currant (you can use blackberries too)
- 1,5 dl frozen blueberries
- 1,5 dl chopped fresh purple cabbage
- 1 dl coconut yogurt or other plant-based yogurt
- plant-milk of choice as much as needed to get the right consistency you want
- Coconut-vanilla smoothie - White
- 1,5 dl lightly steamed and frozen cauliflower (you can use raw and frozen too)
- 0,5 dl coconut flakes or fresh coconut
- 1,5 dl coconut yogurt
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ tsp vanilla powder
- plant-based milk of choice as much as you need
- Mango smoothie - yellow
- 2,5 dl frozen mango
- 1,5 dl lightly steamed frozen cauliflower
- 1 raw (or steamed) carrot
- 1 dl coconut yogurt
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- black pepper
- Plant-based milk of choice as much as you need
- Tropical smoothie - Green
- 2,5 dl frozen pineapple
- 2,5 dl baby spinach
- 1,5 dl frozen cauliflower
- 1 dl coconut yogurt
- ½ tbsp ginger
- ¼ small organic lemon
- ½ tsp chlorella powder (or green powder of choice)
- Water as much as you need
- If you want to make all of these smoothies in one go, I suggest you start by steaming 1 large heard of cauliflower and 1 carrot the previous day. Put them in the freezer for the night.
- The next day you can start blending! To avoid having to clean up the blender in between smoothies, you can make the smoothies in this order: 1. White 2. Yellow 3. Green 4. Purple
- Hope you enjoy these refreshing smoothies!