I had the pleasure of participating in a seasoning challenge hosted by Urtekram brand. One of the spices I chose was raw licorice powder. I’m a huge fan of anything licorice flavored (sweet, salty, strong..anything goes!), but I know not everyone is. So I wanted to create an appealing recipe for all porridge lovers, so that the licorice flavor is soft and sweet and not too overwhelming. Licorice powder is a powerful sweetener – I urge you to try it, if you haven’t already!
Licorice porridge and licorice nuts
I also added some cardamom to the porridge. My oh my what a warming delightful combination this is! Especially when all these warming spices are combined with a bright and tangy whipped lemon coconut cream. The porridge itself is a soft comforting mixture of quinoa and gluten-free rolled oats warmed in creamy coconut milk. I love the nutrient density of this combination! With all the creamy elements something crunchy and salty-sweet was needed – caramelized licorice nuts are the icing on the cake. The nuts are so delicious, in fact just like candy (only healthier!).
These are the Urtekram spices I used: raw licorice powder, turmeric for an extra health boost and color obviously 🙂 and whole cardamom pods.
Vote for my licorice porridge
I would be more than happy if you could vote for my soft licorice porridge with lemon cream! The recipe can be found in Finnish here and below in English (using US cup measures like in every recipe on my blog).
So please VOTE for my recipe – Thank you soooooo much for your support 🙂
ps Here’s the translation of the FORM:
Äänestämäni resepti*= Choose the recipe you want to vote for, that would be PEHMEÄ LAKRITSIPUURO SITRUUNAKERMALLA 🙂
Nimi* = Name
Sähköposti* = Your email
Katuosoite* = Your address, the street name
Postinumero* = Your post code
Postitoimipaikka* = City and country
Lähetä = Send the form
Happy porridge moments!
- Licorice porridge
- ½ cups quinoa
- ½ cups water + ½ cups & 3 tbsp coconut milk
- ½ cups gluten-free rolled oats
- ½ cups + ½ cups & 3 tbsp coconut milk
- 4-6 cardamom pods (about ¼ tsp - ½ tsp ground cardamom)
- 2,5 tsp raw licorice powder
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Lemon cream
- ½ cup coconut cream (chilled overnight in the fridge)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- dash of black pepper
- Caramelized licorice nuts
- ¼ cups chopped cashews
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 3 cardamom pods
- ½ tsp raw licorice powder
- Pinch of salt
- Optional toppings: sweet licorice candy chopped into small bites.
- Preparations: chill one coconut milk can in the fridge.
- Prepare caramelized licorice nuts first: chop cashews and grind cardamom seeds.
- Heat a pan and add coconut oil, maple syrup and spices. Mix well and let the mixture melt for a while (about 1 min) before adding the chopped cashews.
- Toast the nuts for a few minutes or until they turn golden brown. Let chill.
- Prepare lemon cream next: scoop ½ cups of coconut cream from a chilled can. Whip the cream with all ingredients until soft and fluffy.
- Make the licorice porridge last: Grind cardamom seeds. You should get about ¼-1/2 tsp ground cardamom.
- Rinse quinoa well.
- Bring water + coconut milk to a boil and add the rinsed quinoa. Let simmer in low heat covered for about 10 minutes.
- Add rolled oats, water, coconut milk and ground cardamom to the quinoa, mix well and let simmer in low heat covered for 5-8 minutes until the porridge is soft and creamy. Add more liquid (water or coconut milk) if needed.
- When the porridge is cooked add raw licorice powder 1 tsp at a time. Taste and add more until porridge tastes sweet.
- Serve porridge warm with lemon cream and caramelized nuts (and optional toppings: pieces of sweet licorice candy).
- Enjoy the sweet and tangy combination!