I made a little twist to the classic strawberries & cream and created this delicious, healthy breakfast: Strawberries and tahini cream overnight oats. Tahini is an amazingly flavorful addition to oats – the warm, mildly spicy flavor goes so well with sweet juicy strawberries. This breakfast is nourishing and ready in 10 minutes!Jump to Recipe
It’s still a few months to go until we get fresh strawberries so I’m using frozen ones. Another twist to the classic strawberries and cream combo is that I’m warming the berries in a pan to make them even sweeter and juicier. If you don’t have time to warm berries in the morning (it takes about 5 min), you can use frozen ones. Or if you’re lucky to have fresh strawberries, they would taste amazing too!
I discovered tahini only about five years ago, and thanks to Instagram, I learned to use it in various ways. Hummus is a classic, and tahini makes sauces and dressings delicious, but otherwise I don’t use tahini in savory cooking that much. I love tahini most in sweet foods ♥ You can use it like nut butter in baking (cookies, cake, brownies, frosting), add it to smoothies and hot chocolate (so good!). Here are some yummy tahini treats to try, from the blog archives:
One of my favorites is tahini caramel, which I love to spread on toast or use it to make tarts and pies sweeter like these Strawberry tahini tarts.
This chocolate-tahini smoothie is a favorite of mine (and my kids), it’s also very easy and quick to make.
It’s snowy and cold, but I still enjoy ice cream if it’s as yummy as this one: Tahini caramel swirl ice cream This ice cream might take a while to make, but it’s all worth the while!
Still one of my favorite granolas of all time: crunchy tahini granola!
And then there’s this creamy dreamy breakfast:
ps If you don’t like tahini, you can use nut butter…with peanut butter this would be like peanut butter & jelly overnight oats 🙂
Strawberries and Tahini Cream Overnight Oats
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or sweetener of choice
- pinch of ground cardamom
- pinch of good quality salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 cup thick Oat drink (for coffee) / coconut milk / other creamy plant-based milk of choice I use Kaslink AITO barista, which is a thick oat drink for coffee with a mild sweet flavor
- handful (~3,5 oz / 100 g) strawberries
- Mix tahini, sweetener, salt and cardamom until you get a thick "paste"
- Add rolled oats, chia seeds and plant-based milk to a jar and give it a good stir.
- Swirl in the tahini paste and mix again thoroughly.
- Put in the fridge overnight or a few hours.
- When ready to eat: warm frozen strawberries in a saucepan for about 5 minutes in low heat. You will get a warm gooey strawberry jam, which you can pour on top of your tahini cream oats.
- NOTE: if you're using frozen strawberries, you can pop them in the overnight oats jar when you make the oats. They will thaw overnight and make the oats juicy and sweet.
- If you're using fresh strawberries: cut them into pieces / slices and mix about half of them inside the overnight oats and use the rest as toppings.