A wholesome and delicious Mother’s Day treat: strawberry chia pudding tart with granola crust ♥ I’m making this for my Mom on Sunday and I know she will love it! The ingredient list is very clean: this tart is gluten-free, refined sugar free and vegan.Jump to Recipe
This is not the first time I’m making chia pudding tart. I made one in 2016 for Mother’s Day – here’s the recipe. I also made another version of this for my vegan baking book which was published a year ago in Finland. I’ve had it on my to do list for 3 years to make a strawberry version and here it finally is, just in time to celebrate all Moms!
Wholesome diet for 30 days
I’m currently eating a very wholesome diet with minimal grains and sugar. I’m actually eating a very similar diet than I did about 5 years ago when I began eating a plant-based vegan diet. I remember feeling elated and full of energy even though my son was just a baby and I didn’t sleep well. Here’s a little memory from my Instagram.
Smoothies and buddha bowls were the bulk of my diet back then, and I think I will stick to these foods again, because they’re both such a fun (and also easy!) way to eat wholesome ingredients.
No bake goods are also easy to make very wholesome:
Refined sugar free
The crust is sweetened with dates and the filling is sweetened with strawberries and a small piece of banana. If you want a sweeter pie, you can substitute the banana with any sweetener you wish such as dates (will affect the color of the pie a bit) or maple syrup. One other suggestion is to drizzle a little maple on top of the pie when eating it!
Refined sugar free does not mean bland and boring! On the contrary – good quality dates bring an amazing caramelly flavor to the crust and the filling tastes like summer with all the sweet strawberries.
Gluten-free (nut free option)
This strawberry chia pudding tart with granola crust is also gluten-free with just seeds, nuts and buckwheat groats in the crust. If you have a nut allergy, you can use rolled oats and seeds or just seeds instead of nuts.
Buckwheat groats are a miracle grain, I think they give a yummy crunch to crusts and granola. I also sprinkle them on top of salads. And if you cook them, you get a hearty savory alternative to rice & pasta! And one more: if you soak them overnight, drain and rinse very well and blend with berries or dates & cocoa powder, you have a super yummy smoothie – pudding. Here’s one of my favorite buckwheat-based smoothies: walnut chocolate smoothie.
What I like to do to make all the nutty flavors really pop: I roast buckwheat groats, nuts and seeds in a hot dry pan to get a beautiful flavor. This tip makes all no bake treats very special.
We will eat this tart on the morning of Mother’s Day. This is our special celebratory breakfast and together with a good cup of coffee it is simply heavenly. I really hope you will enjoy this summery tart too!
Have a wonderful Mother’s Day ♥
ps If you’re looking for more traditional sweet strawberry treats, here are some popular recipes from Myberryforest:
Strawberry chia pudding tart with granola crust
- 1/3 cups (1,7 oz / 50 g) nuts such as macadamias and pistachios
- 1/3 cups (1,7 oz / 50 g) sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cups (1,4 oz / 40 g) buckwheat groats
- 2 tbsp (0,9 oz / 25 g) coconut oil
- 2 tbsp (1 oz / 30 g) almond butter
- 1/4 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2,8 oz / 80 g pitted dates I used about 6 small dates
Chia pudding filling
- 1/2 cups (125 g) coconut yogurt
- 1/3 cups (80 ml) melted coconut butter
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 3,5 oz (100 g) fresh strawberries
- 1 oz (30 g) banana / dates / any sweetener you like
- pinch of salt
- For serving and decorating: strawberries, edible flowers, mint
- Roast nuts, seeds and buckwheat groats in a dry hot pan for a few minutes stirring frequently so that they don't burn. Remove to a plate to chill for a while.
- Blend roasted nuts, seeds and buckwheat groats with all other crust ingredients until you have a firm batter which is easy to shape.
- Press batter into the bottom of a spring form pan lined with parchment paper.
- Blend all filling ingredients and pour on top of the crust. Let chill in the fridge for about 5 hours or in the freezer for about 1 hour (depending on how soft / creamy you like the tart filling).
- Decorate cake with fresh strawberries. Enjoy!
ps You can follow Myberryforest also on Facebook!