Strawberry puree layer cake is a celebration of summer! Strawberries in every layer giving a sweet summer flavor and a perfect egg-free and dairy-free sponge cake. Oh how I love summer time baking. I hope you do too!
Summer strawberry treats
This cake is made from strawberries I received from the Nenonen strawberry farm which I was lucky to visit a month ago. The strawberries were sweet and very beautiful and I wish I could teleport myself to the farm for more!
As a huge strawberry lover, one of my big passions is making vegan strawberry treats. I have created several strawberry recipes through the years, here’s a list of my favorites:
Gluten-free berry caramel cake – shaped like an ice cream cone!
Strawberry chia pudding tart with granola crust – a little light gluten-free dessert, good for breakfast too.
Gluten-free sugar-free banana-sweetened strawberry cake
Gluten-free no-bake strawberry cupcakes
Strawberry season is not over yet in Finland, and I hope it’s not over there yet either! You still have a chance to bake some of these treats or this amazing pillowy creamy strawberry puree layer cake.
How to make strawberry puree?
An essential part of this cake is strawberry puree. Strawberry puree makes the cake super moist and the strawberry flavor is out of this world, especially when using sweet fresh summer strawberries.
Strawberry puree is very easy to make: just blend fresh strawberries until you have a smooth very vibrant red sauce. There’s no need to add any sweetener to the puree when strawberries are sweet.
This puree would be perfect for a toddler too, and in fact you can make a baby/toddler version of this cake without sugar by using smashed bananas as a sweetener (use a little bit less yogurt then, so that the cake will bake properly).
What makes this strawberry puree layer cake the best vegan strawberry cake:
Fresh chopped strawberries inside the sponge cake layers.
Juicy sweet strawberry puree on top of both layers.
Whole strawberries as a simple and beautiful topping for the cake.
Strawberry puree layer cake
Strawberry sponge cake
- 150 ml / 0,6 cups plant-based milk
- 100 ml plant-based yogurt
- 100 ml canola oil or other neutral flavored oil
- 160 g / 5,6 oz fresh strawberries
- 195 g (~300 ml) / 1,2 cups all-purpose flour
- 45 g (~100 ml) / 0,4 cups almond flour
- 130 g ( ~150 ml) / 0,6 cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla sugar or 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 160 g / 5,6 oz fresh strawberries
- 1 tbsp sugar or other sweetener Optional - use sweetener if strawberries are not sweet
Decorating the cake
- 250 ml / 1 cup plant-based cream for whipping
- 100 g / 3,5 oz strawberries
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 392 F. Grease a baking pan with oil or place parchment paper on the bottom and edges.
- Mix together milk, yogurt and oil.
- Chop strawberries.
- Combine all dry ingredients: flours, sugars, baking powder and salt.
- Add milk-yogurt-oil mixture and mix well. Add chopped strawberries and combine everything into a smooth batter. Don't over mix the batter.
- Pour cake batter into a baking pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean.
- Let cake cool for a while in the pan before removing it.
- Blend strawberry puree until smooth and whip plant-based cream until fluffy.
- Cut cake into two pieces (roughly two square pieces if using a brownie pan like I am) and spread strawberry puree on top of bottom layer.
- Spread whipped cream on top and place the second layer on top. Add puree and cream and decorate with strawberries.
- NOTE: This yummy cake gets even better the next day when the flavors are enhanced.
ps If you don’t feel like baking, I also have a recipe for delicious sweet no-bake strawberry cupcakes with strawberry cream.