A classic and always so yummy. Made with either fresh or frozen strawberries, this strawberry smoothie tastes like melted strawberry ice cream. Read further for tips on how to make the best strawberry smoothie!
Strawberry smoothie with yogurt
The secret to making strawberry smoothie so creamy and thick it’s almost like ice cream is using the creamiest yogurt! My choice is coconut yogurt but any thick creamy dairy-free yogurt works, just as long as it’s delicious. Yogurt not only adds creaminess it also gives a lovely mild tang, which is a good contrast with sweet strawberries.
You can choose a yogurt with berry flavor or a with no flavor. I chose a creamy natural unsweetened yogurt.
Strawberry smoothie and banana
The second tip, which is one of the most common tips for making creamy vegan smoothies is using ripe spotty and sweet bananas, which are frozen beforehand. When blended, frozen bananas become super creamy and make a lovely thick base for any smoothie. Or nice cream too.
In fact, by not adding any liquid to this strawberry smoothie, you can easily make strawberry nice cream!
I recommend freezing a bunch of sweet peeled and chopped bananas so that you’ll always have some in the freezer for both smoothies and nice creams. Kids love these cold snacks!
This strawberry smoothie recipe is a simple classic and it works with any frozen or fresh berries. If you want an ice cream or nice cream like consistency, I recommend using frozen berries. If using fresh berries, you don’t need to add any other liquid except the yogurt.
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 cup frozen or fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup creamy coconut yogurt (if you don’t have creamy vegan yogurt, you could also use half any vegan yogurt and half coconut cream to get the same effect)
- 1/3 cup (or less or more) thick plant-based milk for coffee. I use Fazer Barista style oat milk for my smoothies to make them even creamier. Adding liquid makes it easier to blend the smoothie, but it’s not necessary otherwise especially if you want a very thick smoothie.
- 1 tbsp sweetener of choice if needed (depending on the sweetness level of other ingredients)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder
Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy. Top with strawberries or pineberries if you can get them!
We are lucky to have pineberries growing in our garden. They look like unripe bizarre strawberries but they are ripe and taste a lot like strawberries and pineapple combined!
Pineberry is a white strawberry cultivar with a pineapple-like flavor, and red seeds. Source: Wikipedia
ps You can follow Myberryforest also on Pinterest!