Plant based savory snacking at its simplest goes like this: grab a veggie (preferably organic), wash it well (and peel if necessary) and start munching. Sometimes though, a little something extra is required to satisfy demanding taste buds. Something with a mouthwatering umami flavor or with a fresh and green lemony tanginess, or better yet – both! I blended seeds and nuts together with veggies and the outcome satisfied my snack cravings perfectly: sunflower seed pesto and arugula-pistachio pesto.
This can definitely be classified as simple snacking as well, because after you’ve gathered all the ingredients for these appetizing snacks, it’s just about blending 🙂
One of my favorite toasts is avocado toast! Smashed avocado is the simplest (and one of the healthiest!) spreads on earth. The texture is incredibly smooth and creamy, and combined with herb salt and a squeeze of lime and/or lemon it makes taste buds sing happy tunes. Avocado toast is also quite the Star on Instagram – there are now nearly 80.000 posts hashtagged #avocadotoast 🙂 (Update January 2019: 1 M #avocadotoast posts !)
Pestos are a staple in our house and we add them to many foods for a juicy twist. This sunflower seed pesto and lemony arugula-pistachio pesto work amazingly well with spiralized vegetables (zoodles, carrot noodles, sweet potato noodles) or gluten-free pasta, and as a dip, too. But when the cravings really hit me, nothing can beat toast.
- Sunflower seed pesto
- ⅓ cups sunflower seeds
- ⅓ cups sundried tomato (preferably without oil)
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp paprika
- Arugula-pistachio pesto
- 1,5 cup loosely packed arugula
- ⅓ cup unsalted pistachios
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- ~1 tsp lemon zest (from 1 medium organic lemon)
- ½ tsp garlic flakes or ⅛ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp good quality salt (e.g.Himalayan)
- For serious snacking, also:
- 4 pieces of gluten free toast (or regular toast)
- 1 avocado
- a few tomatoes
- ½ tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ tsp garlic flakes
- Squeeze of lime and/or lemon
- Pinch of herbs & salt
- Preparations: Soak sunflower seeds and pistachios in separate bowls or jars for ~8 hours prior to making the spread and pesto. Cover seeds and pistachios with water, add a pinch of salt and let soak.
- Sunflower seed pesto: drain and rinse soaked sunflower seeds.
- Add all spread ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until desired consistency reached.
- Arugula-pistachio pesto: drain and rinse soaked pistachios.
- Add all pesto ingredients to a food processor or blender and blend until desired consistency reached.
- Avocado toast: smash avocado on toast, sprinkle herbs and salt (or herb salt) and squeeze some lime and/or lemon juice on top. Add avocado slices on top.
- Tomato toast: spread olive oil on top of one toast, add garlic flakes, sliced tomato and pinch of salt.
- Enjoy snacking:)