When I need something healthy, green, delicious which is ready in 10 minutes (or less) and can easily be taken along with me whereever I might be going, I blend a smoothie. Not just any random smoothie, but my SUPER green smoothie with secret green ingredients. If you’re looking for a super nutritious yet still tasty and extremely refreshing green smoothie, THIS is one of the best recipes. For extra color and flavor, I suggest blending a simple healthy pineapple slush to go with the greens.
The secret ingredient in this super smoothie is one of my favorite cruciferous vegetables: broccoli. It is quite an odd veggie in a smoothie, and I use it here solely for its nutritious profile. Raw broccoli blends in surprisingly smoothly with other green and fruity ingredients, and I swear you can’t taste it at all. Another hidden ingredient in my smoothie is frozen peas (or fresh when I have some). Peas give a lovely thick texture to smoothies and with the broccoli and baby spinach, this smoothie is almost like a lovely green salad 🙂
To make this smoothie a SUPER green smoothie, I’ve added two of my favorite magical green powders: spirulina and wheatgrass. Spirulina is one of the most nutrient-dense foods on earth and although I added just 1/2 tsp here, this tiny amount already gives me an extra boost of antioxidants and vitamins, especially with a teaspoon of wheatgrass – another nutrient-filled healthy powder. If you want to read more about the health benefits of spirulina, please read this amazing article by Helen Nichols: 25 Science-backed Health Benefits of Spirulina.
If this smoothie is a bit too green for your taste, you might want to check out my Healthy Green Smoothie Guide to guide you through different shades of green. And if you would like to see more smoothie inspiration, I wrote a guest post for beautiful Oggipanesalamedomani blog (by the lovely Sonia Monagheddu). You can find my RAINBOW smoothies here (both in English and Italian) and some Behind the scenes action and insight about my creative flow and a few tips on photography here
Now, let’s drink some greens 🙂
- [b]Super green smoothie[/b]
- 1 frozen banana
- 1 cup fresh or frozen mango cubes
- 1 cup baby spinach (loosely packed)
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli florets
- heaped 1/4 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves
- 2 small pieces (about 1/4 small lemon) of organic lemon (peels too, they are full of vitamins!)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp wheatgrass powder
- 1/2 tsp spirulina powder
- about 1 cup of water (a bit less if you want a thicker smoothie)
- [b]Healthy pineapple slush[/b]
- 1 cup frozen pineapple
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- Blend all green smoothie ingredients until smooth. If you don’t have a powerful blender (such as Vitamix), let the banana and mango thaw for 5-10 minutes before blending.
- Wash the blender container and add pineapple slush ingredients. Blend until slushy. Add more coconut milk if needed.
- Pour the green smoothie into two jars and put the pineapple slush on top with a spoon.
- Enjoy your super greens!