Sweet potato toast has been a thing for a long time now, but I tried this social medial star for the first time just a month ago when I was looking for a healthy bread to pair my cashew cheese with. Turns out that a toasted sweet potato slice is a perfect match with salty flavorful vegan cheese. If you’re looking for grain-free toast ideas, I’d say this is a winner! And even more perfect when assembled into a sandwich with colorful vegetables. With this toasted Sweet potato sandwich with beetroot cashew cheese I would be more than happy to join Healthy Fast Food Blog Carnival by the inspiring and lovely Janine from Nutsandblueberries.com
Healthy Fast Food Blog Carnival is a virtual party and anyone with a yummy vegan/vegetarian healthy fast food recipe is welcome to join. It is wonderful to connect with bloggers who share a similar passion to create healthy plant-based recipes and food photography. Read more about the party here and start creating #healthyfastfood4 🙂
I’ve always been a big fan of vegetables I can use in various ways. Sweet potato has long been a favorite as its versatility is quite mind-blowing. Just think about it: as fries, cubed in curries, pureed in porridges and pancakes, spiralized as pasta, mashed up in baked goods etc..and now as a simple and super easy-to-make toast. You just need a good knife and a good toaster to make your grain-free bread dreams come into life.
I used these simple instructions to make my toasts, and realized that our toaster is not a good one. I had to toast the sweet potato slices 6 times before they were perfect: crisp on the outside and soft on the inside. And so incredibly tasty! This is one healthy fast food trick I really recommend 🙂
I hope this sensational toast doesn’t steal the highlight from my beetroot cashew cheese which tastes deliciously earthy, somewhat sweet but still salty in just the right way. Much like sweet potatoes, beetroot amazes me with its versatility. Beetroot in yogurt?! Beetroot in granola?! Beetroot in cheese?! Yes, it’s all possible and also highly recommendable if you want to start incorporating more of this healthy root vegetable into your diet. If not for the taste..then how about just for the color!
ps. This post is part 2 of my Cashew Cheese series. Here is part 1 featuring two very special and delicious cheeses similar to this beautiful beetroot cheese: lemon and roasted red pepper cashew cheeses. I’ve used lemon cashew cheese in this sandwich too to give it a lovely tanginess.
pps. Don’t forget to join the Healthy Fast Food Blog Carnival!
- [b]Beetroot cashew cheese[/b]
- 1 cup soaked cashews
- 1/4 cup grated beetroot (extra juice squeezed out)
- 1,5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1,5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/3 cup water
- + 1 tbsp olive oil
- [b]Sweet potato sandwich[/b]
- 1 medium sweet potato cut into 1/4 inch slices.
- [b]For one sweet potato sandwich[/b]
- 2 slices toasted sweet potato
- 3 pieces of beetroot cashew cheese
- 3 pieces of [url href=”https://www.myberryforest.com/baked-cashew-cheese/” target=”_blank”]lemon cashew cheese[/url]
- 1/3 cup green peas
- A few slices of tomato
- Leafy greens e.g.romaine
- 1/2 small avocado cut into slices
- 1 tbsp tahini
- Lemon juice
- [b]Beetroot cashew cheese: [/b]Soak 1 cup of cashews in warm water and 1/2 tsp salt for a minimum of 2 hours (preferably 4 or overnight). Drain and rinse cashews.
- Preheat oven to 375F / 190C.
- Blend all cheese ingredients except olive oil in a high-speed blender or food processor until completely smooth and creamy. Add olive oil and swirl it in with a spoon.
- Pour the cheese mixture in a small baking tin lined with parchment paper. I used a 5″ x 5″ / 12,5 cm x 12,5 cm tin.
- Bake the cheese for ~35 minutes until it’s firm. You can also bake it ~25 min for a softer consistency or more than 35 min for an even firmer texture.
- [b]Sweet potato sandwich: [/b]toast the sweet potato slices in a toaster as many times as needed on the highest mark. We have a basic toaster and it took me 6 rounds to get the slices perfectly toasted: crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.
- Assemble the sandwich by adding the cheese, spreading 1/2 tbsp tahini on top (to keep the peas in place and to add a lovely flavor), peas, leafy greens, tomatoes, avocado (lemon juice on top of the avocado slices), cheese, 1/2 tbsp tahini and peas.
- Enjoy this healthy colorful sandwich!