Movie night with my favorite girl called for a serious recipe creation session. I wanted to come up with a healthy movie snack – crunchy, sweet, chocolatey. With these words in mind I grabbed a Squarebar protein bar, gluten free rolled oats, nuts, coconut oil and created a yummy granola clusters recipe. The movie was Frozen. So I just had to make a smoothie bowl to match: vanilla-cinnamon smoothie bowl with crunchy granola clusters.
The secret to my granola clusters is a liquid chocolate mixture made from a Squarebar and almond milk. This ensures a beautiful chocolate flavor, which is sweet but not too sugary. And in fact no white refined sugar is needed for this treat: besides organic coconut nectar and organic dried cane syrup from the Squarebar this granola has only a little bit of maple syrup as a sweetener.
The next morning we enjoyed our crunchy granola with almond milk. We also ate it as a dessert dipping the clusters into whipped coconut cream. Even though the granola tasted amazing the next day, there was something special about the combination of smooth cinnamon-vanilla and crunchy chocolate. Sharing this Frozen smoothie bowl with my little girl made it even more magical.
Want to try yummy Squarebars too? You’ll get a 20% discount with the code “myberryforest” at squarebars.com
- Vanilla-cinnamon smoothie bowl
- 2 frozen bananas
- ⅓ cup cashew cream (recipe for cashew cream can be found here)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- ½ cup plant based milk (I used almond milk)
- Crunchy granola clusters
- 1 cup nuts (e.g.pecans, almonds, cashews)
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- ¼ cup pepitas
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ c melted coconut oil
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp good quality salt
- For the chocolate milk poured on top of the granola:
- 1 Squarebar
- 3 tbsp plant based milk (I used almond milk)
- Granola clusters
- Squarebar pieces
- Preheat oven 150C/300F.
- Crunchy granola clusters: Chop nuts. Put nuts and all other ingredients except Squarebar and plant based milk into a bowl. Mix well. Pour granola mixture on a baking tin/sheet lined with parchment paper, and press granola together.
- Prepare chocolate milk by blending Squarebar and plant milk. Pour liquid evenly on top of granola sheet.
- Bake in 150C/300F for 40 min, turning the baking tin after 20 min.
- Vanilla-cinnamon smoothie bowl: take frozen bananas out of the freezer and let thaw for ~10 min. Blend all smoothie ingredients in a high-speed blender.