Vegan apple crumble pie with the best apple crumble pie topping! This delicious pie is based on a recipe by my Mother-in-law. The original was easy to veganize and I’m so happy with the results. This is one of my favorite pies of fall and it is easy to make, ready in just 30 minutes.
The Best Apple Crumble Pie Topping
The secret to this pie is the best apple crumble pie topping! This topping is so easy to make because it is made of the pie batter with some extra vegan butter added.
This pie crust is a bit different than I usually make, because it’s kind of cake like, fluffy, and dare I say: moist 🙂 The best crumble pie topping on the other hand becomes a bit crispy thanks to the flour, butter and sugar forming a perfect texture when baked.
With the softened apples in the middle, this pie is everything I could ever want for in a pie.
These are the main ingredients you need:
- Vegan butter
- Light brown sugar
- Vegan yogurt
With this simple pie and crumble pie topping recipe you can make any crumble pie you like!
It would be amazing with these flavors:
- Blueberries (I would use ground cardamom instead of cinnamon)
- Apricots or nectarines
Vegan Apple Crumble Pie Recipe
I made this pie in a 10 inch (26 cm) pie pan
- vegan butter for greasing the pan
- 3-5 apples, depending on the size of the apples. I used 4 small ones.
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) vegan butter
- 2 cups (260 grams) flour
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) light brown sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan yogurt (125 grams) For this pie I prefer either neutral or vanilla soy yogurt, such as Alpro or vanilla oat yogurt.
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- Preheat oven to 392 F / 200 C. Grease the pie pan with vegan butter.
- Slice apples into thin slices.
- Melt vegan butter and let cool.
- Mix together dry ingredients: flour, sugars, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- Combine melted butter and dry ingredients.
- Separate 1/3 of the crumble in another bowl and set aside.
- To the rest of the crumble (2/3) add 1/2 cup of vegan yogurt and mix gently.
- Pour the batter into a greased pan.
- Arrange apples evenly on top.
- Add melted butter to the 1/3 of the crumble, give a good mix and sprinkle evenly on top of the apples.
- Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes or until pie is firm. You can make a toothpick test after 25 minutes, if a few firm crumbs stick to the toothpick, that’s okay.
- Let pie cool and serve as it is or with vegan vanilla sauce or vanilla ice cream.
If you’re searching for more delicious apple recipes, here are some blog favorites:
ps You can follow my blog also on Pinterest!