This vegan apple pie with buckwheat crust is also gluten-free. Apples and buckwheat are a great match, bringing a cozy warm early autumn mood to the table. This pie is great for dessert with ice cream or vanilla sauce, but is perfectly delicious on its own too.
I really can’t think of anything more cozy right now except a piece of pie with a cup of chai.
Or why not combine these two flavors 🙂 ?
Masala chai apple pie
Masala chai tea is one of my favorite teas. I’ve never actually made the spice mix on my own, but I did some research and these are some of the suggested masala chai spices:
- all spice
Of course there are many versions of masala chai or spiced tea. I picked these spices as I knew already before baking they would taste amazing with this vegan apple pie with buckwheat crust.
Ground ginger, cloves and allspice add a lovely kick to baked goods. I usually use them only in autumn and winter when baking cakes, pies, tarts and cookies.
Ground cardamom and cinnamon on the other hand are my daily favorites. I use them in almost every sweet food and even in smoothies. I also add ground cardamom to my coffee every day 🙂
Here are some of my favorite and most popular cardamom recipes:
Celebrating food from Finland
I made this pie using 90% Finnish ingredients to honor the first national Finnish food day celebrating food from Finland. I would’ve used 100% Finnish ingredients, but the spices and sugars are not from Finland.
I’m very proud of our beautiful clean nature and all the plant-based foods grown here. The gluten-free flour mixes I regularly use such as the buckwheat flour I use in this pie are a great example of clean, non GMO Finnish food.
The apples I’m using in this pie are from my parents’ neighbor, a lovely man with the most beautiful garden, which he tends very meticulously. These apples taste like my childhood and they are one of the best foods (in addition to berries) from Finland.
I hope you like this masala chai spiced yumminess!
ps Please tag me on Instagram @myberryforest in your creations if you make this or any of my recipes. I would love to share your creations on my Instagram Stories.
Vegan apple pie with buckwheat crust
- 5-6 apples
- 4 tbsp syrup
- 1 tsp ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 0,5 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp cloves
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- pinch of salt
- 195 grams (about 1,2 cups) gluten-free buckwheat flour mix you can use any gluten-free flour mix you like
- 35 grams (about 0,4 cups) almond flour
- 85 grams (about 0,4 cups) sugar
- 1 tsp ground Ceylon cinnamon
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 150 grams vegan butter you can also try this with coconut oil
- for brushing the crust: 1 tbsp syrup and about 0,5 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 392 F.
- Chop apples into small pieces. Combine with spices and syrup and mix until apples are fully coated.
- Crust: mix dry ingredients. Add vegan butter and knead dough until it's firm and doesn't crumble apart.
- Set aside about 1/3 of the crust and press the rest into a baking tin, both bottom and edges.
- Add spiced apples on top of the crust.
- With a rolling pin roll the rest of the dough into a round shape big enough to cover the baking tin. NOTE: if the dough is too sticky, let chill in the freezer for a few minutes. You can also add a little bit of flour to it when rolling.
- Place the round shape on top of the pie. Make small holes in the middle.
- Mix syrup and water and brush the pie with the mixture.
- Bake in 200 C / 392 F for 35-40 minutes or until crust is crispy and brown.
- Eat pie as it is or with ice cream and/or whipped cream and/or vanilla sauce.