Hello lovely! I have a yummy recipe for you: vegan banana-free mint chocolate smoothie to beat summer day chocolate cravings! This smoothie is thick. It’s creamy. It’s made with wholesome ingredients and a little love. What makes this smoothie creamy without banana? Well it’s certainly a magical veggie. Click here to read this post in Finnish.
It’s not frozen cauliflower this time, nor is it zucchini. It’s something sweeter and totally amazing paired with chocolate: sweet potato! Are you crazy about sweet potatoes? I am. I love them in many ways:
♥ As crispy fries! See recipe here.
♥ Roasted in a salad. See recipe here.
♥ In pancakes. See recipe here.
In soups, in Buddha bowls, in mashed potatoes, in porridge, pies and cakes, as a frosting..the list is probably endless, because sweet potatoes are unbelievably versatile.
With this smoothie I discovered a new level of yumminess. The sweet potato is steamed until soft, chilled and then frozen. When you blend frozen sweet potato chunks with the other smoothie ingredients, you get this lovely silky and refreshing spoonable shake, which is not too heavy for REAL chocolate cravings 🙂
The mint flavor comes from peppermint extract, and you can leave it out if you prefer a plain thick chocolate shake instead. You can also add a cool mint drizzle made from wholesome ingredients without artificial coloring 🙂
I’m definitely going to make this over and over again this summer, and eat as a healthy treat or for a sweet breakfast and snack. So it seems that instead of frozen bananas, our freezer will be full of frozen sweet potatoes!
Lots of smoothie love from the forest ♥
- Mint chocolate smoothie
- 1 cup sweet potato (1 medium size sweet potato)
- ⅓ cup gluten-free rolled oats
- ¼ cup almond butter (or any nut or seed butter you prefer)
- 2-3 medjool dates (I used 3)
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ¼-1/2 tsp peppermint extract
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup plant-based milk
- To serve (optional of course): melted dark chocolate drizzled inside the smoothie jars.
- Mint drizzle: 2 tbsp melted coconut butter, 1 tsp maple syrup, drop of peppermint extract, pinch of spirulina
- Berries, cookies, more chocolate 🙂
- Cut the sweet potato into small pieces and steam until soft. Let chill. Freeze pieces in the freezer until the next day or at least 4 hours.
- Blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy. Add dates and peppermint extract to taste. And add plant-based milk until the perfect consistency is reached. We love our smoothies thick and spoonable.
- Melt dark chocolate and drizzle it inside the smoothie jars.
- Melt coconut butter and mix it with maple syrup, peppermint extract and spirulina. Taste and add sweetener / peppermint extract to taste.
- Serve smoothies with mint and dark chocolate drizzles & berries.
ps If you want to read about why I don’t use bananas in my smoothies, here’s a good explanation.
And here you’ll find other delicious banana-free smoothie recipes.