It’s cake time! And I created a special one for you: delicious vegan Berry Caramel Cake ♥ This cake is easy to make, it’s oil-free, can easily be made gluten-free as well. The secret to its sweetness is a simple liquid caramel sauce, which is not only yummy on top of cake, it’s a delicious topping for toast or pretty much any sweet food.
Click here to read post in Finnish.
Vegan Berry Caramel Cake and other delicious treats
The recipe is from my baking book Herkkuja (Tammi, 2018), which is unfortunately available only in Finnish. My book contains 70 delicious sweet recipes, which are all vegan and most gluten-free. The book is divided into sections such as: breakfast treats, afternoon coffee treats, over the top treats and little sweet snacks.
This vegan berry caramel cake is one of my favorites from the book. It’s moist thanks to plant-based yogurt and the generous drizzle of gooey caramel sauce on top.
As much as I love berries & cream, berries & caramel combo is becoming a favorite this summer♥
Homemade vegan caramel sauce
Vegan caramel sauce is really easy to make and I regularly make it. Either this coconut cream one or a date and nut butter based thicker one. Either way, vegan caramel is just one of those irresistable treats you would no necessarily guess is vegan. It has a dairy-like quality to it as it’s so creamy.
Vegan liquid caramel sauce such as the one on top of this cake takes a bit of time to make, because you need to simmer it on a stove top until it thickens and becomes gooey and caramelly. If you put the liquid caramel in the fridge or freezer after simmering it you have an even thicker sauce.
Midsummer berry cake
With this delicious summer cake, I’m wishing you all a beautiful Midsummer! I’m looking forward to some sauna, swimming in a (cold) lake, walks in the forest and good food. Most likely a lot of cake with berries too 🙂
Love from the forest!
More summer recipes from Myberryforest
Savory summer foods
♥ Lemony lentil taco salad – I’m making the lemony lentils for Midsummer as a yummy pita filling with veggies.
♥ Vegan herb butter, which goes amazingly with almost any meal.
♥ A hearty comforting meal with juicy summer tomatoes, millet and creamy chickpeas.
♥ Greek salad with vegan feta cheese – still one of my favorite salads of all time!
Summer drinks and smoothies
♥ Refreshing summer mocktails – add berries, herbs and natural coloring to make magical alcohol-free drinks.
♥ Banana-free smoothies in rainbow colors – wholesome ingredients, yummy flavors.
♥ Creamy mocha smoothie for a delicious treat – to satisfy both chocolate and coffee cravings.
Wholesome summer snacks
♥ Green summer chia pudding – a healthy sugar-free creamy snack
♥ Strawberry cauliflower nice cream – don’t be afraid to try this, you can’t taste the cauliflower!
♥ Creamy strawberry-rhubarb overnight oats – always a great combo in the summer!
♥ Matcha frozen yogurt ice cream – a refreshing sweet snack
Sweet treats for the summer
- Berry cake
- 2 dl spelt flour or gluten-free flour mix
- 1 dl almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 dl plant-based yogurt, I recommend soy yogurt
- 1 dl maple syrup
- 1 dl berries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tsp potato starch
- oil to grease the pan if needed
- Vegan caramel sauce
- 1,5 dl coconut cream (the solid creamy part from a coconut milk can)
- 0,75 dl maple syrup
- pinch or two of salt
- To serve: fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 360 F
- Put parchment paper on the bottom of a spring form pan and grease the edges.
- Mix together dry ingredients: flours, baking powder and salt.
- Add yogurt and maple syrup.
- In a separate bowl, cover berries with potato starch and mix until well coated.
- Add coated berries to the batter and mix gently.
- Pour batter into springform pan and bake 20 - 25 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean. Baking time varies according to the type of yogurt used.
- To make the caramel sauce scoop solid creamy part from a coconut milk can and put it in a pan together with maple syrup. Bring to a boil and let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until the liquid becomes more solid and orange/brown. Add pinch of salt to taste.
- Let cake cool and pour caramel sauce on top. Decorate with fresh berries and enjoy!