It’s cake time! And I created a special one for you: delicious vegan Berry Caramel Cake ♥ This cake is easy to make, it’s oil-free, can easily be made gluten-free as well. The secret to its sweetness is a simple liquid caramel sauce, which is not only yummy on top of cake, it’s a delicious topping for toast or pretty much any sweet food.
Click here to read post in Finnish.
The recipe is from my baking book Herkkuja (Tammi, 2018), which is currently available only in Finnish, but I’m working on an English translation for all you sweet treat lovers! The cake is one of my favorites from the book. It’s moist thanks to plant-based yogurt and berries, and of course the gooey caramel sauce makes it really special. As much as I love berries & cream, berries & caramel combo is becoming a favorite this summer♥
With this delicious summer cake, I’m wishing you all a beautiful Midsummer! I’m looking forward to some sauna, swimming in a (cold) lake, walks in the forest and good food. Most likely a lot of cake with berries too 🙂
Love from the forest!
Savory summer foods
♥ Lemony lentil taco salad – I’m making the lemony lentils for Midsummer as a yummy pita filling with veggies.
♥ Vegan herb butter, which goes amazingly with almost any meal.
♥ A hearty comforting meal with juicy summer tomatoes and creamy chickpeas.
♥ Greek salad with vegan feta cheese – still one of my favorite salads of all time!
Summer drinks and smoothies
♥ Refreshing summer mocktails – add berries, herbs and natural coloring to make magical alcohol-free drinks.
♥ Banana-free smoothies in rainbow colors – wholesome ingredients, yummy flavors.
♥ Creamy mocha smoothie for a delicious treat – to satisfy both chocolate and coffee cravings.
Wholesome summer snacks
♥ Green summer chia pudding – a healthy sugar-free creamy snack
♥ Strawberry cauliflower nice cream – don’t be afraid to try this, you can’t taste the cauliflower!
♥ Creamy strawberry-rhubarb overnight oats – always a great combo in the summer!
♥ Matcha frozen yogurt ice cream – a refreshing sweet snack
Sweet treats for the summer
- Berry cake
- 2 dl spelt flour or gluten-free flour mix
- 1 dl almond flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 dl plant-based yogurt, I recommend soy yogurt
- 1 dl maple syrup
- 1 dl berries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tsp potato starch
- oil to grease the pan if needed
- Vegan caramel sauce
- 1,5 dl coconut cream (the solid creamy part from a coconut milk can)
- 0,75 dl maple syrup
- pinch or two of salt
- To serve: fresh berries
- Preheat oven to 180 C / 360 F
- Put parchment paper on the bottom of a spring form pan and grease the edges.
- Mix together dry ingredients: flours, baking powder and salt.
- Add yogurt and maple syrup.
- In a separate bowl, cover berries with potato starch and mix until well coated.
- Add coated berries to the batter and mix gently.
- Pour batter into springform pan and bake 20 - 25 minutes or until toothpick test comes out clean. Baking time varies according to the type of yogurt used.
- To make the caramel sauce scoop solid creamy part from a coconut milk can and put it in a pan together with maple syrup. Bring to a boil and let simmer on low heat for 10 minutes or until the liquid becomes more solid and orange/brown. Add pinch of salt to taste.
- Let cake cool and pour caramel sauce on top. Decorate with fresh berries and enjoy!