I was craving something comforting today for lunch so I made these vegan creamy bean taco buns in about 20 minutes! I thought I’d share the recipe, because I’m pretty sure you will love these as much as I do. I ate three of these (the ones you see in the photo) right away after taking pics and I still have a few left for family dinner. Let’s see how my kids like them 🙂
To read this post in Finnish, click here.
Even before eating plant-based I always loved beans, black beans to be specific. They’re my staple comfort food, but they have to be paired with carbs to make the meal complete. Pasta or bread, anything goes, but today I tried soft hot dog buns (store bought) for the first time with beans and I’m in love! The soft bun and creamy beans + greens is a delightful & delicious combo. If you try this recipe, I really recommend using soft hot dog buns or any soft bread.
I thought about adding fresh tomato inside the bun too, but actually forgot about it. I was too hungry 🙂 But I bet it gives a good fresh flavor. In fact you can add any veggies inside! And a squeeze of lime, which I put in almost any food ♥
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp Ceylon cinnamon (or more to taste)
- pinch of cayenne (to taste)
- black pepper
- 350 g / ~12 oz cooked black beans
- 2,5 dl / ~1 cup oat cream or any plant-based cream (coconut milk would probably work too)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp flour (to make the sauce thicker)
- + olive oil or veggie broth or water to sautee the onion + garlic
- Hot dog buns
- Greens: lettuce, cilantro
- Preheat oven to about 180 C / ~360 F
- Chop onion and garlic.
- Sautee the onion and garlic for a few minutes in medium heat. Add tomato paste and all the spices and stir well.
- Let the spices warm up for a minute and add beans and cream.
- Cook in medium-high heat for about 5 minutes. Taste and add soy sauce (and other spices, to taste). You can also add flour to make the sauce thicker.
- Warm the hot dog buns in the oven for a few minutes.
- To serve: put a generous amount of warm creamy beans inside the bun, add greens and all the veggies you wish. I also recommend adding a squeeze of lime, which makes everything better!