One day in September I picked the cutest apples from our tiny apple tree (and my parents’ neighbor’s tree too) and baked a pie, which was so Christmassy I wanted to save the recipe for Christmas time. So here it is: my vegan gingerbread apple pie – a delicious and festive treat for the season.
To read this post in Finnish, click here.Jump to Recipe
Apple pie is a classic sweet comfort food treat, but I always give this classic a little twist whether it’s apple pie cheesecake or apple pie with an extra crumbly topping..or unbaked apple pie. Never in my life before this had I combined apple pie with gingerbread cookies, but apparently it’s pretty common (gathered from the nearly 20 million google hits!!).
If you haven’t tried this combination yet, please do! It’s so flavorful and an instant holiday spirit lift when the sweet aroma fills your kitchen. I’m a bit under the weather today, but I’m so glad I had the energy to bake this sweet pie and make our home smell like Christmas!
Lots of love from the forest,
ps If you’re looking for a more chocolatey treat for the season, THIS is my favorite cake!
Vegan Gingerbread Apple Pie
- 0,8 cups gluten-free oat flour (100 g / ~3,5 oz)
- 0,6 cups almond flour (60 g / ~2 oz)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp gingerbread spice
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/3 cups maple syrup
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp almond or cashew butter
- 0,6 cups unsweetened soy yogurt (other plant-based yogurts might work too, but I haven’t tried)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1-3 apples
- dash of Ceylon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 390 F / 200 C.
- Mix all dry ingredients together (flour, spices, salt).
- Add maple syrup, oil and nut butter and mix until well combined. Take about 200 g / 7 oz of the batter and put the rest in the fridge.
- Press batter in the bottom and edges of a pie dish and bake in the oven for 5 minutes.
- Slice apples.
- Mix yogurt and syrup together and spread on the pie crust. Add apple slices in one layer (overlapping a little)
- Roll the rest of the pie batter into a thin sheet. Make gingerbread cookies and place them on top of the apples.
- Sprinkle cinnamon on top and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Enjoy this cozy festive treat!