All winter long I wanted to dig into my warm bowl of comforting porridge in the morning, but now it’s time for something different. This vegan gluten-free fruit and nut bread with chocolate butter is really something else. It’s more in the dessert for breakfast category than plain brekkie one, and I couldn’t ask for more. I’m definitely a dessert for brekkie kinda girl and I know many of you are too. Especially when it’s the healthy kind of dessert.
This soft bread and creamy spread is actually quite good for you – the bread is naturally sweetened with just fruit and the chocolate spread is all raw cacao powder, cacao butter and coconut butter goodness. This bread is ideal for weekend brekkies and brunches but also sweet enough to have with afternoon coffee. My children eat this bread as a dessert, but I choose to eat this on Monday mornings to start the week in a good way, the best possible way – with delicious food.
Happy new week!
ps If you try this or any of my recipes, please tag me and use #myberryforest so I can see your lovely creations.
- Vegan gluten-free fruit and nut bread
- Dry ingredients
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour
- ⅓ cup almond flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Wet ingredients
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water)
- ⅓ cup olive oil or melted coconut oil (or about half and half of both)
- Fruits and nuts
- ½ cup pecans (or hazelnuts or a mix of nuts)
- 7 dried organic apricots (about ⅓ cups)
- ¼ cup organic raisins
- Chocolate butter
- ½ cup coconut butter
- ¼ cup cacao butter
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- Fruit and nut bread: preheat oven to 390 F / 200 C.
- Mix almond milk with apple cider vinegar and let set for about 5 minutes. Mix flax meal with water and let set for 5 minutes.
- Roughly chop pecans (or other nuts) and apricots.
- Add all dry ingredients to a bowl and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, mix together all wet ingredients: almond milk + ACV mixture, flax egg and olive oil (or melted coconut oil or both).
- Mix wet ingredients to dry ingredients stirring well and fold in chopped nuts, apricots and raisins.
- Use your hands to combine all the ingredients properly. The dough should feel firm.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and form the dough into a round bread shape. With a sharp knife gently cut a cross on top of the bread (to prevent it from cracking randomly).
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool a bit and cut into slices with a good bread knife. Store in the fridge in a sealed container for up to five days or store slices in the freezer.
- Chocolate butter: melt all chocolate butter ingredients in a water bath for a few minutes. Mix well and pour into a clean glass jar (or other clean container).
- Let set in the fridge for at least 15 min for the butter to become solid. Spread this creamy chocolate on top of fruit and nut bread and enjoy!