My kids love to eat these pancakes rolled with mashed potatoes inside. It was my daughter who invented this fun way of eating, and I’ve been following her lead. It’s like a comfort food deluxe roll 🙂
To make these pancakes you only need a powerful blender or food processor, because you want the batter to be smooth and creamy. That’s how you get the amazing texture and gorgeous green color for the pancakes.
This recipe is actually from last autumn – I mysteriously forgot about this until today I started craving green pancakes. I have another green pancake recipe on the blog: my vegan, gluten-free spinach pancakes, but these spinach pancakes are on the sweeter side. This time I wanted a totally savory version, although it would be easy to turn these kale pancakes into sweet ones, too: just leave out the salt and herb and use sweetener instead!
One of the amazing things (besides the flavor!) about these pancakes: the pancake batter looks exactly like a green smoothie 🙂
Happy Sunday and new week from the forest!
Vegan Gluten-Free Savory Kale Pancakes
- 4 big kale leaves use only the leaves
- 1 cup gluten-free all purpose flour I use a high-quality Finnish brand Virtasalmen Viljatuote
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp dried herbs such as basil
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 1 cup oat cream for cooking or other unsweetened cooking cream, also coconut cream would work I use Kaslink AITO oat cuisine.
- 1 cup oat milk or other unsweetened plant-based milk
- olive oil for cooking
- Wash kale leaves and remove stem.
- Blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender or powerful food processor until very smooth and creamy.
- Heat olive oil in a (pancake) pan and use about 1-1,5 tbsp of pancake batter per pancake. Shape into a round pancake with the help of a spoon.
- Cook pancakes in medium heat for a few minutes, turn and cook a minute or two from the other side until fully cooked from both sides (a little bit brown, but still a lovely shade of green)
- Enjoy pancakes with mashed potatoes or as a nourishing breakfast.