Spring is coming, but it’s still cozy soup weather in Finland. We’re having vegan goulash, but not exactly the traditional Hungarian version. This is rather a goulash targeted at the picky eaters of the family featuring noodles and a new delicious smokey BBQ flavored oat and bean based vegan protein.
Goulash is super easy to veganize. The base is all vegan: onions, bell peppers, carrots, tomatoes (I used canned crushed ones) and lots of paprika powder. I use a mild paprika powder so this is not a very spicy nor hot dish.
In a traditional goulash meat is cooked in the the thick broth but in my vegan goulash I add protein last. That’s because the protein I’m using, Delikaura™, is ready-to-use straight from the package. I use a smokey BBQ flavor, which tastes very “meaty” in the goulash.
Goulash noodle soup
One thing I always add to my soups is noodles. Adding noodles is a way to make dishes familiar so that my kids are more likely to eat them. So this goulash is also a pasta soup, a hearty and comforting pasta soup.
It’s also very budget-friendly made with inexpensive ingredients and nothing fancy is required. You might even have all the ingredients in your pantry already.
Well, except Delikaura™, because unfortunately this amazing vegan protein is currently only available in Finland. I made the Finnish vegan goulash post in collaboration with Gold & Green Foods, the inventor of Pulled oats® and this new delicious Delikaura™ (translation: Deli oats 🙂 ). I hope some day soon this healthy vegan protein is available all around the world.
Happy healthy weekend!
Get the recipe for the goulash here:
- 2 onions
- 3 carrots
- 1 large red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp oil for cooking the onions
- tbsp paprika powder (mild)
- tbsp tomato paste
- tbsp dried rosemary
- tbsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cans of crushed tomatoes (500 g x 2)
- 500 ml vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- black pepper
- pasta for four
- 1-2 bags of smokey BBQ marinated Delikaura (or other similar vegan protein)
- vegan creme fraiche
Chop onions, carrots and bell pepper.
Warm oil in a big saucepan / pot and cook onions until soft.
- Take the saucepan off from the heat and mix in the paprika powder and tomato paste (if you leave the pot on the warm stove the paprika powder might burn)
- Add chopped carrots and bell pepper
- Put the pot back on the stove, add crushed tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Add dried herbs, salt and pepper.
- Put the lid on and let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until carrots are cooked.
- Cook pasta
- When the soup is ready, mix in the noodles
- Enjoy soup with Delikaura (or similar vegan protein), creme fraiche and parsley!
Other vegan pasta soups I recommend: