A creative way to use lentils
Hi there! I’m eating with my eyes first for a moment…aren’t these tomatoes pretty? This vegan lentil tomato tart doesn’t just look pretty, it tastes delicious too with a lot of umami flavor and buttery crust (without butter ofc). It’s easy to make, and kid-friendly in every way – not too spicy but definitely not boring & flavorless either 😉
Kid-friendly lentil tart
I got the idea for this tart when I was making Lemony lentil taco salad which is one of my favorite salads ever and also loved by my four year old son who has previously not been a huge lentil fan. I wanted a comforting meal which would be simple to make for family lunch or picnic.
In my opinion lentils are not the prettiest food on their own, so they definitely required a colorful pair: tomatoes in bright colors. I’m so happy tomato season is here, as these thinly sliced red and yellow tomatoes have just the right kind of rich umami flavor that I often crave. If you’re craving comforting flavors too, here’s the recipe for you ♥
- net weight 175 g / ~6 oz cooked red lentils
- Spice mix:
- 1/4 cups / a little bit over 50 ml Extra virgin olive oil
- 1,5 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1,5 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 0,5 tsp garlic powder
- 0,5 tsp maple syrup (or other sweetener)
- 0,5 tsp salt (eg Himalayan salt)
- 1,5 dl / 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp (~50 grams) rolled oats
- 1,5 dl / 1/2 cups + 1 tbsp (~100 grams) spelt flour or gluten-free flour mix
- 1/2 tsp salt (eg Himalayan salt)
- 1/3 cups (~50 grams) coconut oil, room temperature
- 2-3 tbsp cold water or as needed
- ~4 mid sized tomatoes and 8 small ones
- Optional: oregano, thyme or other herb (fresh or dry)
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 390 F.
- Drain and rinse lentils. Make the lentil spice by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl. Add cooked lentils and mix well until all are coated.
- Crust: mix dry ingredients. Add coconut oil and cold water until the dough is easy to handle – not crumbly, not too sticky either.
- Press the dough into a tart pan and the edges (pan about 24 cm in diameter).
- Spread lentil spice mixture on top.
- Cut tomatoes into thin slices.
- Place tomatoes on top of lentils, add herbs, and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the tart edges are brown and the tomatoes look roasted.
- Serve this delicious tart with fresh vegetables and herbs.
ps Here’s another recipe for beautiful tomatoes: a galette with a creamy filling (vegan and gluten-free).
pss. You can also follow Myberryforest on Pinterest 🙂