Getting more and more into holiday mood by dressing up my oatmeal with festive flavors! This vegan nutella peppermint oatmeal was inspired by my classic nutella oatmeal recipe, which I wanted to cheer up a bit. Peppermint was just the perfect ingredient to add to this dreamy oatmeal 🙂
To read this post in Finnish click here.
There are many things I love about oatmeal:
- Basic oatmeal doesn’t cost much
- It’s a very family friendly breakfast or evening meal
- Oatmeal is a neutral flavored food and soaks up other flavors nicely so you can pimp it up to your liking in endless ways
- You can make a nourishing and healthy version or a super luxurious dessert like version (which imo would still be healthier than regular sugary dessert)
You can probably guess which category this holiday oatmeal belongs to: healthy / luxurious? I think it belongs to both…kind of 😉
If you’re not into sweet luxury dessert oatmeals, turning this into a healthier version is very simple: just omit crushed peppermint candy and use less chocolate. You can also use cacao powder and add sweetener to taste. Adding chia seeds to the oatmeal while cooking would also upgrade it to a healthier version.
Here’s my original Vegan Nutella Oatmeal neatly in a jar 🙂
Vegan Nutella Peppermint Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup (or more if needed) oat milk or other plant milk I use Kaslink AITO Barista oat drink
- pinch salt
- 2 tbsp hazelnut butter
- a few pieces of vegan dark chocolate (15 g / ~0,5 oz)
- 1/8 tsp peppermint extract (or to taste)
- hazelnut butter
- toasted hazelnuts
- vegan dark chocolate
- crushed peppermint candy
- Cook oatmeal in a pan in medium-low heat until it’s soft and creamy. Add pinch of salt.
- Swirl in hazelnut butter and dark chocolate and let them melt in the hot oatmeal. Add peppermint extract and mix well.
- Serve oatmeal with hazelnut butter, chocolate, crushed peppermint candy and berries. Enjoy this festive oatmeal 🙂