Vegan parmesan crusted tofu with butter potatoes is summer comfort meal deluxe! Simple ingredients, which are not expensive. This meal is tested by my kids (they loved it!) and is a great reminder that sometimes simple flavors work best.
What makes this tofu special is the delicious parmesan crust. My go to vegan parmesan is sunflower seed “parmesan”, which is very easy to make in a blender or food processor. Toasting sunflower seeds makes them super yummy, and gives this parmesan a lovely nutty warm flavor and also a “cheesy” flavor with nutritional yeast.
Butter potatoes sound quite fancy, but they are ridiculously simple to make: cook (new) summer potatoes until they are soft but not mushy, add a generous spoonful of vegan butter, few pinches of salt and carrot tops. Carrot tops in this meal is like dill, which is a very common fresh herb used in Finland with potatoes. I love using the tops of veggies, they are very flavorful – just like herbs – and using them means no waste in the kitchen. I also cook and eat potatoes with skins on – no waste either.
If you try this meal or any other blog recipes, would love to see them! Please tag @myberryforest on Instagram so I can share them on my stories 🙂
Lots of love and happy cooking from the forest!
ps Get inspired by two other summer tofu recipes:
Tabbouleh tofu noodle salad: fresh, delicious, wholesome noodle salad with crumbled spicy tofu.
Grilled vegan caesar salad tofu burger with garlic oil: the best summer burger with grilled tofu and grilled cabbage.
Vegan parmesan crusted tofu with butter potatoes
- 1 block (about 10 oz) of marinated tofu I used Jalotofu basil + garlic marinated tofu
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 2,5 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- For serving: new potatoes for four, vegan butter, salt and pepper, carrots with tops and peas or any other fresh vegetables you like.
- Cut tofu into 2-3 slices. Cover slices with a kitchen towel and put a heavy object such as a pan on top. Let dry for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 392 F.
- Blend all parmesan crust ingredients until crumbly.
- Cut tofu into smaller sliced and brush with oil.
- Coat tofu pieces in parmesan crust so that all sides are coated.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes or until tofu pieces look crunchy.
- Bake potatoes with skins on (if organic / clean)
- Before serving, brush potatoes with vegan butter, add pinch of salt & pepper and carrot tops as herbs.
- Serve parmesan tofu with butter potatoes and fresh vegetables!