Delicious pesto pasta with a twist
Collaboration with Kaslink AITO. Creamy vegan pesto pasta with chanterelles is a new delicious way to eat pesto. I made pesto using Kaslink AITO Oat cuisine, an oat-based cooking cream. With buttery vegan chanterelles this pesto pasta has both delicious umami flavor and freshness from the herbs.
Oat-based vegan gluten-free cooking cream
Regular pesto can sometimes feel a bit too oily. I love a good quality olive oil, but sometimes I want a herby pasta without the oil. So this convenient cooking cream comes to the rescue! I use AITO Oat cuisine when we want creamy comfort food, which is very often. Not only with pasta, this gluten-free oat-based cream works well in casseroles, lasagna, stews and soups like this lentil noodle soup.
How to make the perfect chanterelles
Chanterelles are in season now in Finland. These golden treasures from the forest make any meal rise to a gourmet level. Preparing them is simple, but a few tricks and tips are in order.
- Clean chanterelles well and tear or cut the large ones into smaller pieces. Leave small ones as they are.
- If you have a cast iron skillet warm chanterelles in a dry skillet without oil/butter. This step is crucial, because you want to get all the moisture out of the mushrooms.
- Cook until the chanterelles are dry.
- Now it’s time to add the butter. I use vegan butter or vegan margarine, but you can use any butter with a good flavor. This is important, because all the chanterelles will be coated with this flavor.
- Add a few pinches of salt and black pepper. Pepper is optional, it goes well together with these mildly peppery mushrooms.
I’ve used AITO Oat cuisine in many weekday recipes such as this delicious warming lentil noodle soup. We also love a more traditional creamy chanterelle pasta sauce, which you can make with a simple recipe found in this family forest brunch post.
Wishing you all a delicious day!
Vegan pesto pasta with chanterelles
- 4 cups chanterelles
- ~1 tbsp vegan butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1,5 cups basil
- 1/3 cups pumpkin seeds and/or sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 0,5 tsp onion powder
- black pepper
- 1 cup (1 package) Kaslink AITO Oat cuisine
- For serving: pasta and fresh basil leaves
- Clean and chop chanterelles.
- Cook chanterelles in a dry hot pan until all moisture is released.
- Add vegan butter and keep cooking until golden browl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta.
- Blend all pesto ingredients until crumbly. Save some for serving and mix the rest with pasta and Oat cuisine.
- Serve pasta with chanterelles, fresh basil and pesto "crumble". Enjoy!