This vegan rum cake for the holidays is also gluten-free. My mom bakes this cake every year for Christmas, but the original recipe calls for eggs so I haven’t tasted it in years. So it was time I veganized the cake and now I want to share this delicious recipe with you!
Jump to Recipe
Cakes for the holiday season
This cake is unlike many other rum cakes I’ve seen. It’s a flavorful combination of dark cocoa powder and rum with a little citrusy zing in the frosting. The cake is lush and rich, but not too heavy. What’s best about it is that it only takes about 30 minutes to make.
First you need rum, of course 🙂 Pretty much all rums are vegan (unless they contain honey). If you are not a fan of rum, don’t worry – this cake contains rum only a little, just to give a warming flavor boost. It’s kind of like hot chocolate with rum, and the frosting goes together perfectly with the cake.
If you’re looking for a more traditional Christmas cake, this gluten-free vegan gingerbread cookie cake is a delicious one with flavored strawberry jam and whipped cream. Sort of like a holiday version of a strawberry cream cake.
I shared another gingerbread cake recipe last year: chocolate cake with gingerbread caramel, and it was a huge hit. I still use this gingerbread caramel all the time, it is so good! And the chocolate sponge is so soft and delicious.
Holiday season is also all about caramel! This gluten-free Cardamom cake with vegan caramel is a melts-in-your-mouth cake experience. The perfect caramel frosting is made of nut butter and oat drink, it’s one of my favorite ever caramel recipes!
I also have a summery version of this cake, which would also be amazing the holiday season because it is super rich and soft. This berry caramel cake is spongier than the cardamom caramel cake and the caramel sauce is coconut cream based.
But now let’s enjoy a piece of this yummy vegan rum cake for the holidays!
Happy baking from the forest,
Vegan rum cake for the holidays
- Springform pan, diameter 22 cm / 9 inch
- 130 g / ~2 dl light gluten-free flour mix I'm using one with a mix of rice flour, buckwheat flour, corn flour (non GMO) and psyllium.
- 40 g / ~1 dl almond flour
- 20 g / ~0,5 dl dark cocoa powder
- 130 g / ~1,5 dl sugar
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 0,5 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 130 ml oat based cooking cream (neutral flavor) also thick coconut milk or coconut cream will work
- 50 ml rum
- 100 ml neutral oil such as melted neutral coconut oil
- 2 dl / a bit less than 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1,5 tbsp rum
- 1 tbsp oat cream or coconut cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Optional: Cranberries and mint leaves for decoration.
- Preheat oven to 200 C / 392 F and line the bottom of a pan with parchment or grease the pan well.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Add cream, rum, oil and mix well.
- Pour batter into the baking pan and bake for about 25 min or until toothpick test comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan before removing.
- Mix frosting ingredients and adjust ingredients to taste and preferred consistency.
- Coat the cake with frosting and decorate with cranberries and mint leaves (optional, but looks very festive!). Enjoy this delightful winter cake!