I’m back with another yummy easy summer recipe! Blend a bunch of summer tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, soaked cashews, coconut oil, olive oil and seasoning. Freeze it and enjoy this vegan smoked tomato butter, a butter so amazingly umami flavored and creamy (and hard to believe plant-based!) you want to use it with every summer meal. That’s what I do 🙂
To read this post in Finnish, click here.
Sauces are an important – often the most important – part of a meal, but sometimes I’m too lazy to whip up anything special. Vegan butters are perfect on these lazy occasions as they provide an instant flavor boost to a meal. And instant creaminess too.
Like my other vegan butter recipe: herb butter, this tomato butter is suitable with pretty much any grilled or cooked meal. It’s insanely delicious with pasta and fresh tomatoes, but also on top of bread when I want something flavorful, salty & buttery (and must admit – I want it often!).
I make my vegan butters in a chocolate mold and freeze them so that I can take a piece or two and let it melt on top of my warm meal. What is amazing about this cashew-based version: it melts really quickly.
Because of the rich smokey flavor, this tomato butter calls for something lighter as a companion so I like to add fresh vegetables and especially fresh herbs to my meals. So go ahead and give your grilled or roasted veggies the creamy coating they deserve 😉
- 120 g / 4 oz cashews
- 100 g / 3,5 oz fresh tomatoes
- 50 g / 1,7 oz sun dried tomatoes
- 3 tbsp melted unrefined coconut oil
- 3 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp liquid smoke or smoked paprika
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp maple syrup or other sweetener
- ½ - 1 tsp salt (depending on how salty you want the butter)
- Soak cashews in a bowl covered in water for at least 1 hour.
- Drain and rinse cashews and blend them with all other ingredients until silky smooth.
- Put in a suitable (chocolate) mold and freeze for at least 3 hours.
- Store in the freezer.