Vegan cinnamon cardamom buns
When the best parts of cinnamon rolls and cardamom buns are combines this is what happens: vegan cinnamon cardamom buns. Mouthwatering, scrumptious treats with a delicious swirl inside!
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time12 mins
Servings: 20 buns
- 2 cups (480 ml) plant-based milk such as oat milk
- 1/2 cups melted neutral flavored coconut oil or any other oil or melted vegan butter of choice
- 1/2 cups (100 g) sugar
- 1 pack (11 g) active dry yeast
- 5 cups (640 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup syrup I used date syrup, but any syrup you like will work
- 1/2 cup nut butter I prefer cashew butter, but almond / hazelnut / walnut would also work.
- 2 tsp Ceylon cinnamon
- 1,5 tsp ground (green) cardamom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp plant-based milk such as oat milk
- 1/4 tsp Bourbon vanilla powder or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract Also 1 tsp of vanilla sugar would work!
Warm plant milk until it's about 42 C / 110 F (not too warm, because it will kill the yeast). Whisk together milk, oil and sugar.
Sprinkle yeast on top and let sit for about a minute.
Add 4 cups of flour and mix with a wooden spoon.
Cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm place for an hour.
After one hour you should have about double the amount of dough you started with.
Add rest of the flour and stir well.
On a well-floured surface, knead the dough until it doesn't stick to the surface.
Roll the dough with a rolling pin into a large rectangle shape about 1/2 inch (1,5 cm) thick.
Whisk all filling ingredients in a bowl until you have a sticky thick paste.
Spread paste over the surface of the dough, also the edges.
Cut the dough into 4 stripes, roll each stripe into a roll. NOTE: if you're watching the Tasty video, this is where I start diverging from the Tasty recipe :)
Combine two rolls together and knead until you have a big ball of dough where the filling is randomly swirled inside. Do the same to the other two rolls.
Now divide one of the balls into about 9-10 pieces and roll into small buns. Do the same to the other ball. So altogether you should have about 18-20 buns.
Preheat oven to 225 C / 437 F.
Let buns rise covered with a cloth for 15 minutes on a baking sheet.
Bake buns (one baking sheet at a time) in the mid rack for about 12 minutes. Baking time varies so you can set the timer to 10 minutes first to check the buns. Let buns cool before frosting.
Mix all frosting ingredients and cover buns with frosting.
Enjoy these delicious treats! Happy Cinnamon Roll day!
The dough recipe is based on a recipe by Tasty. I veganized the recipe and made it into an entirely different yummy treat.