Pumpkin stew with macaroni
Pumpkin stew with macaroni is a hearty creamy meal without a drop of dairy. It comes together in about 30 minutes, and is the perfect cozy dish for fall.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time25 mins
- 7 oz / 200 g block of firm marinated tofu I recommend smoked tofu
- 14 oz / 400 g pumpkin such as hokkaido
- about an inch of fresh ginger (a thick piece)
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 3 tsp curry powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 cups crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- ~10 oz / 300 g dry macaroni (or other pasta of choice)
- 1 cup Kaslink AITO Oat cuisine oat-based cooking cream
- Fresh herbs such as parsley or cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste If the veggie broth is low in salt you might need to add more to the stew. You can also add pepper if you like :)
Cut block of tofu in a few pieces and dry them inside a kitchen cloth. Crumble dried tofu into small pieces.
Cut pumpkin into bite size pieces. No need to peel if using hokkaido pumpkin.
Grate ginger and chop garlic.
Warm oil in a large pot. Sautee ginger and garlic for a minute or two until soft.
Add tomato paste and spices and warm the paste in the pot for about a minute.
Add tofu and chopped pumpkin and mix with tomato paste-spice mix.
Pour liquid into the pot: crushed tomatoes and veggie broth. Mix well and let simmer under the lid for about 10 - 15 minutes. The pumpkin pieces should have softened a bit, but not too much.
Add macaroni and cook in them in the stew according to package instructions.
Pour Oat cuisine to the pot when the stew is ready or pour it to the bowl when serving soup.
Garnish with fresh herbs. Enjoy this hearty fall meal!
Check out the cooking time for your pasta first so you can estimate at which point you need to add it to the stew. Just make sure the pumpkin doesn't become too mushy (unless that's what you prefer) nor that the pasta cooks too long.
You can always add more liquid to the stew if needed. I prefer either more veggie broth or cream.