Runeberg Cake (Finnish vegan almond cake)
Runeberg Cake (Finnish vegan almond cake) is a unique delicious cake with lovely flavors of cardamom and raspberries. With it's cute colors, this would be perfect for Valentine's Day too.
- 1,5 cups all purpose flour (~200 g / 350 ml)
- 0,6 cups almond flour (~60 g / 150 ml)
- 0,4 cups breadcrumbs or gingerbread / ginger / digestive cookie crumbs (~60 g / 100 ml)
- 2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1,5 tsp baking powder
- 0,5 tsp salt
- 0,8 cups coconut sugar (~140 g / 200 ml)
- 1 cup unsweetened or neutral / vanilla flavor soy yogurt (250 ml)
- 0,8 cups oat drink or other plant-based milk (200 ml) I use Kaslink AITO organic oat drink
- 0,2 cups olive oil or other oil for baking (50 ml)
- 1/2 tsp orange zest
- 1/8 tsp or a few drops bitter almond extract This is totally optional, but gives the cake a unique flavor
- 2 oz raspberries (60 g)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (250 ml)
- 4 tbsp orange juice or water
- 1 tbsp water
Preheat oven to 190 C / 375 F
Line a loaf cake pan with parchment paper.
Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl: flours, spices,baking powder sugar.
Add wet ingredients: yogurt, oil and milk.
Add orange zest and bitter almond extract and mix batter well.
Pour half of the batter into the loaf pan.
Place raspberries in a line in the middle of the cake all through the pan.
Pour the rest of the batter on top of the raspberries.
Bake cake for 45-55 min or until toothpick test comes out clean. Let cake chill well before frosting it.
Mix frosting ingredients with a whisk and spread on top of the cake.
Store cake well covered in the fridge and take out about 15 min before serving.